iPhone 3GS a boon for the partially/completely blind?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by t0mat0, Jun 11, 2009.

1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm just thinking - the abilities of the hardware seem to suggest, that this phone could really be great for those partially sighted, or blind.

With the digital compass, the GPS, the audio control, the audio directions...

3D audio + map + voice search + touch screen + SatNav/turn by turn = seems a winning combination.

Anyone have some more informatoin about the State of the Nation on apps/tech for the blind?

It seems that beyond apps for oreinteering, sports, navigation by foot etc, that it could be great for those who are lost/ get lost, or have difficulties basically travelling around.

You input welcome! Will likely edit this post if there's enough information to make a decent thread on this.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Seems good, but the smooth touch screen sounds like a automatic no for the completely blind.

3. svndmvn Guest

4. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not necessarily - it's just the normal UI is set up for the sighted. Within an app, short of crashing, the only way you get out is the home button. You could easily set it up to be much more friendly. a button doesn't have to be immediate - it could say what it was on touchover, and only work if you tapped it again, or encircled it, or double tapped it etc.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I talked to my wife about it. it may be accessible but but is it really practical to have to talk to the phone to do anything. no way a blind person could set it up or change anything. plus for them it is just too expensive for what little use a blind would get out of it.
    my wife got a new nano and it is great. everything speaks and it is easy to get around. Her blind engineer friend uses a smart phone he has memorized where to touch the screen and can do great things on it. but it has the speaking software on it so that helps.