iPhone 3GS Activation with Phonebook Sim Card! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by edgar.amarotova, Sep 30, 2010.

1. edgar.amarotova macrumors newbie

ok, i own a 16gb white iPhone 3Gs (New Bootrom), it has firmware 3.1.3 and i bought it already jailbroken i think it was jailbroken with spirit

ive seen on youtube and many other sites that you can activate the iphone with a phonebook card

i depend on ultrasn0w, and i would like to know if you can indeed activate the 3gs with the phonebook sim card runing iOS 4.0.1 (its the only one it works on, i think) i want to make sure before doing it bc if i do it and it doesnt work then im screwed!

HAS ANYONE TRIED IT!??????

:apple:

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Well it says your in Texas so it shouldn't be to hard to find an AT&T SIM card..

3. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

what kind of att sim card? i cant get a contract :/

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Any AT&T sim card will work, it doesn't need to be active.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even a prepaid AT&T go sim or someones old deactivated sim.

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

What is this obsession with this stupid phonebook sim card?

If you are in the United States there is no reason at all why you can't get a sim card at damn near every electronics retailer in the country that will activate your iphone. What gives? Why can't we get good information to spread instead of stupid information like get a phonebook sim, and knock yourself out trying to get one off ebay?

The following sims will activate and iphone active or not: att, cingular, gophone, h2o, o2, net10. There may even be others from smaller regional companies. Think McFly, think.

7. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for being so DAMN rude! Isn't this the purpose of the "forum"
    thanks to all the ppl who have responded! I've a phonebook card I just wanted to make sure it worked before doing it!

8. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Unfortunately it's not rude when it's true. The purpose of the forum is to help each other, with good information but it seems that some folks have been lost on this novel idea. :)

9. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! i will definitely update to the 4.0.1

thanks to all of your responses guys!
    and like i said, i was just trying to confirm it was true that you CAN activate it bc ive hear people say it doesnt work, but oh well! i guess theyre wrong! thanks guys!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I guess it also depends on the type and brand of phonebook sim.
    Some have said that certain kinds didnt work.
    Best bet IMO would be if its locked to a particular provider you know any of their sims will do the trick.

11. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

its a DITS Phonebook sim card! they have supposedly don it with it but other people say theres 2 different kinds of these DITS phonebook sim the regular one and the 3 in 1 which idk anything about!

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Just borrow someone's AT&T SIM. You must know someone on AT&T, and you only need it for about 10 seconds. Much simpler and more reliable than trying to use a phonebook card. The phonebook card workaround was only suggested by sherif_hashim for people in places like India without access to official carrier SIMs could activate. There's no reason for anyone in the US to waste time and money on a phonebook card.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    And even people overseas can get AT&T sims for $1-2 on ebay.

14. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

so i can grab anyones iphone sim card and activate my iphone? i thought the sim card would work with only the iphone it was activated with

im sorry for too many questions

15. crawsfire macrumors member

That's what ATT would like you to believe. You can activate it with any Sim card that uses the ATT network, it doesn't have to be an iphone card. I used a Pure TalkUSA card from a Nokia phone.

16. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

oh nice! im gonna try the phonebook first and see if it does anything, if it doesnt then i guess ill find a friends phone and do that :)

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Hence post number 4. ANY AT&T sim will work and it doesn't need to be one from an iphone. It doesn't even need to be an active sim. This thread should have been over long ago.

18. edgar.amarotova thread starter macrumors newbie

love you too man