Iphone 3gs and gps location

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enter, Jun 24, 2009.

1. enter macrumors member

Just a question regarding security/privacy issues....because the new iphone 3gs (first iphone so not familiar with the 3g if it has it) has gps tracking, can people find out where you are at any given location?....for example, say my friend has a 3gs aswell and I call or sms to him, will he be able to find out where its coming from?

also, a question about bluetooth, is it possible for people within range to hack into my iphone and access all my files through bluetooth? for example, if I enable blue tooth all the time because I use a bluetooth headset, can someone access my phone? because I dont see an option to set a password for my bluetooth...

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

People wont access your bluetooth if your not discoverable.... your only discoverable when you have the bluetooth settings window open. And needless to say anyone can hack into anything if they really really wont to.... but 99.999% of the time if your not discoverable people wont even bother you...

And no location info is sent out unless you let it be sent out, If you want the feature I might recommend Loopt.

3. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

To answer both of your questions simply, no. You'll be fine. If you receive a call, there is absolutely no way for a regular consumer to get any information on the location of that call or text message.

And as far as Bluetooth is concerned, while I'm sure there are vunerablilties in the technology, unless you're the President, I wouldn't worry about someone "hacking" into your phone via bluetooth,

Things just don't work that way.

4. enter thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply both of you guys! so I am only discoverable when my bluetooth settins window is open? what does that mean?.....so whenever I want to connect my bluetooth headset to the iphone to talk, I have to open up the bluetooth settins for it to detect it? or will it automatically detect it when I turn on the headset?