iPhone 3Gs and iKlear

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejuanpiman, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ejuanpiman macrumors member

Hey guys hope you are all enjoying the new 3Gs. I wanted to ask if its ok to use iKlear with the new iPhones, Im curious if it will affect the oleophobic screen.

2. hsleiman macrumors regular

I have used iKlear on mine and haven't noticed any difference besides a clean screen!

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

the oleophic screen is a property of the glass, it will not rub off

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

It shouldn't. Apple said it may/will wear off over time, but you probably need an abrasive to do that. I bet with iKlear and good cleaning cloths your oleophobic treatment will probably last longer than most.

5. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

I read somewhere that with time the oleophobic finish diminishes and yes obviously abrasive materials wear it off faster. I hope iklear doesn't make that finish diminish quicker because of the chemicals in iklear. I wonder what the word from apple is.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

i follow this rule with anything type of glass that is treated with any type of coating. Including my anti reflective coated glasses.

Water + lint free cloth.

THAT'S IT.

don't get fancy with ammonia or soaps or alcohol.

the oleophobic screen already wipes pristine and clear with a simple swipe, I don't see going past using water and a lint free cloth.

If anything, you're saving money not buying cleaning products

water + lint free cloth i follow this rule with all my lcd screens and glasses, and i follow it with my iphone as well

7. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Or you use a screen protector..I put mine on the minute I got my 3GS ..gotta keep it nice so I can sell it by the time the newer iPhone comes out lol
    For the back of it, I usually use my "Monster" LCD cleaner with a dry microfiber cloth

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

iKlear is such a scam. A damp paper towel is all you need to clean any screen.

9. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

You can clean this thing with one swipe on your pants or shirt. The back is another story hehe.

10. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

From apples site : Keeping the Outside of iPhone Clean To clean iPhone, unplug all cables
    and turn off iPhone (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide
    the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid
    getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners,
    aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. If
    your iPhone has an oleophobic coating on the screen, simply wipe iPhone’s
    screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands and face.
    Please note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time
    with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will
    further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

11. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

From apples site : Keeping the Outside of iPhone Clean To clean iPhone, unplug all cables
    and turn off iPhone (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide
    the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid
    getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners,
    aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. If
    your iPhone has an oleophobic coating on the screen, simply wipe iPhone’s
    screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands and face.
    Please note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time
    with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will
    further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I used it as first but I agree with others that there are many other home products that are just as good.