Iphone 3GS and new update os4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hybridge, Jul 5, 2010.

1. hybridge macrumors newbie

I have 3GS unlocked running 3.1.3(5.12.01) with tmobile. The screen is messed up right now so I want to restore but it will update to os4. Will I be able to uplock it again if I take the update? Thanks for any help.

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

3. hybridge thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I do believe there are ways to revert back to the previous OS in case restoring your phone is the only fix. I am not familiar with them but you can try a forum search.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The issue is the baseband would be upgraded regardless of him reverting back to OS 3.1.3. The newer baseband isn't unlockable yet on the 3GS

6. hybridge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MBHockey and Alonzo. maybe I should sit tight and wait for ios4 jail break.

7. hybridge thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question guys, can I reverse to the older factory firmware like 3.1.2 or even 3.1.3 instead of ios 4 to try to fix the messed up screen that I have?

8. phrint macrumors 6502

There is a jailbreak for iOS 4.0 but you need to have a 3GS with the old bootrom (non-tethered jailbreak) and have not used the Spirit jailbreak. Here is the linky:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

I am anxiously awaiting to jailbreak my iPhone 4...

9. phrint macrumors 6502

You cannot downgrade to 3.1.2 unless your hashes on Cydia show they are stored for 3.1.2. You can go back to 3.1.3 as Apple's servers are still authenticating. Check Cydia to see if your hashes are saved on their server for 3.1.3 and you can still go back and jailbreak. There was never an unlock for 3.1.3 so I am not sure what version you are on. 3.1.2?

10. hybridge thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks phrint. How can I know if I have old bootrom?

11. phrint macrumors 6502

I guess my question to you is are you using a factory unlocked device or have you jailbroken it and unlocked it through a hack?

Try this part of the forum if you are jailbroken:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

There is some good guidance in terms of jailbreaking/unlocking here. My advice to you is that if you are currently jailbroken and you do not need to connect to your PC/Mac every time you re-start the phone then you have the older bootrom.