iPhone 3gs as GoPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qtip333, Jan 2, 2011.

1. qtip333 macrumors newbie

Okay, I've been reading the archives but somehow haven't figured this out....

I have an iPhone 3gs under contract with ATT (not jail broken, not unlocked). Contract will end soon, if that matters.

I would like to switch it to a pay-as-you go voice plan, with no data plan. Basically, I don't talk much on the phone, and I'm often in a WiFI environment, so I'd like to lose the data plan and save the $30/month.

So my questions (welcome answers to any or all).

1. If I want to use a GoPhone SIM from ATT, what do I need to do?

2. If I want to switch to a T-Mobile pay-as-you go, what do I need to do?

3. If I give up on using the iphone as a phone, and just cancel my contract with ATT, will I then be the proud owner of a fully functional iPod touch?

Thanks All,
    --Q.

2. mz100 macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1068298

Same thing will apply to you.
    You don't need to be jailbroken or unlocked to use prepaid

In fact you could borrow a sim card from a friend that has an iPhone and activate yours. Then just put yours in.

Any questions just ask

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

1. Go into an at&t store and tell them you wan to switch your account to a gophone accout (I did this on my wifes 3gs) then pay to start a balance (usually $20)
    2. Jailbreak and unlock your phone. Go to a t-mobile store and pick up a pay-as-you sim card. Put it in your phone and your good for phone calls, not sure what the set up is to get texts, mms, web, and e-mail working on the iPhone with t-mobile, and you will also only get edge service.
    3. yes.

4. qtip333 thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks. So if I switch to a gophone account, can I get a gophone account without paying for data? Everything 'official' I have seen/been told is that ATT "requires" you to have a data plan. Were you able to avoid paying for a dataplan on your wife's 3GS?

--Q.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

yes, I signed her up on the $60 unlimited talk and text with no data. It was quite easy, though I didn't have her or her iPhone with me at the time, and never mentioned it was an iPhone nor did the rep ever mention it either, don't know if that makes any difference though.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Definitely did this with my old 3G that I gave to my GF. My question is, can she safely update to 4.x and still use the phone on pay-as-you-go? I'm assuming yes, but don't want to say that and make her have to get a real plan.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah i don't think that would matter. How much does she pay a month?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Cool, thanks. She's on some type of thing now where she gets charged $2 a day (flat) if she uses the phone, but nothing if she doesn't. Not sure what the minutes are, but unlimited texts and no data. On AT&T if it matters.