iPhone 3GS as iPod touch? Use without SIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by csnplt, Sep 9, 2009.

1. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I was looking forward to getting a new iPod touch today with a camera and microphone, but unfortunately that won't be happening now.

Instead, I'm wondering if it's possible to get an iPhone 3GS, unlock it, fake activate it, and use it without a carrier, sort of like a much better iPod touch. I am with Verizon, so I'd have to activate it through UltraSnow or something and take the SIM out.

Is all of this possible? And if it is, where could I get an iPhone 3GS without signing up with AT&T?

Thanks

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You can buy one for the unsubsidized price, which could also get you a 64GB Touch and a Video Nano.

3. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

If after jailbreaking it, you update to 3.1, this will obviously urn-jailbreak it. However, will it still have its activation intact? In other words, you activate it only once right?

4. siliconhybrid macrumors newbie

ebay or Craigslist or buy unsubsidized iphone from Apple.

5. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

I don't know. You'll probably want to update with Pwnage tool though, so that you don't update the baseband. That baseband might be a requirement for using without a SIM (fake activating it).

6. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

if I understand fake activating correctly why couldn't you buy a subsidized one fake activate it then never sign up wit AT&T? Do they make you sign up right then and there when you buy it?

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes. You are an AT&T customer before you walk out the door, hence the cheaper price.