Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I purchased an unlocked, and jailbroken with redsn0w, iPhone 3GS off of ebay. I planned to use this with an att gophone. However, when I put the sim card from the gophone in the phone, it says no service. The sim works with other gophones, just not the iPhone. I have tried multiple sims, none have worked. What am I not doing correctly, because I've watched youtube videos doing the exact thing and being successful.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

By the way, it has the latest firmware, iOS 5.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
If its hactivated it wont work with any official AT&T sim prepaid or post paid.
You will have to restore and activate it officially with itunes.
I bet it will work with a Tmobile sim.

So I can just restore it and it'll work??

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
No, its not that simple.
If you have the ipad bb 06.15.00 installed any official restore with itunes will error out and you'd be stuck at a recovery loop.
Go to settings/general/about and tell me your modem firmware version.
And what firmware version its on now.

Modem firmware is 05.16.05

And the firmware version its on now is just the version? The version is 5.0 (9A334)

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Ok, then you can restore to the latest 5.0.1 using itunes and activate it and use it with any prepaid AT&T sim.

Thank you so much! All I do is plug it in now? (I just don't want to mess it up completly, so just making sure.)

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Leave the AT&T sim in. You will need it in and the phone plugged in once its done restoring so it activates.

I got this message, it doesn't say restore. Is this right or what do I do?
6ykrd5.png

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Okay, but this won't restore it. And don't I need to do that?

You will be fine, it will update it to 5.0.1 and then you will be on stock firmware and activated officially.
You wont be able to use it with Tmobile but any AT&T sim, prepaid or post paid will work fine.

Another great job by AJ
:p

Thank you sir, I should start volunteering for the Dev teams blog:D

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
You will be fine, it will update it to 5.0.1 and then you will be on stock firmware and activated officially.
You wont be able to use it with Tmobile but any AT&T sim, prepaid or post paid will work fine.

Thank you sir, I should start volunteering for the Dev teams blog:D

Thank you sooooo much!! It worked perfect!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thank you sooooo much!! It worked perfect!

Enjoy your phone and thanks to AJ for his great help.

If you have any problem with your phone, come here and you will find the help. Remember, good attitude in your post will encourage other people to help you out with your problem.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you have any problem with your phone, come here and you will find the help. Remember, good attitude in your post will encourage other people to help you out with your problem.

Exactly, couldnt have said it better.
The OP was great and respectful asking and receiving help. It makes members go the extra mile to help.
Then there's others that demand help, are rude or dont accept the truth when beeing told something. Or they insist what they heard or saw on another website or youtube is correct and other nonsense.
Glad it worked out for the OP in the end and welcome to M.R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.