iPhone 3GS - Australia and Taiwan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pelicanflip, Jun 25, 2009.

1. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

From what I've heard, most people have been getting their unlocked iphone 3GS's from either Italy or Beligum.

It's a bit of a far stretch for me because I have no contacts in either country except for asking people on this forum to possibly buy one for me.

However, I have family members in Taiwan, and a housemate who is visiting her family in Australia.

Question is, is Taiwan or Australia selling factory unlocked iphone 3GS's? If so, would I just be able to ask someone to buy one for me, send it/bring it back over, and just pop in the SIM Card (I'm on Tmobile)?

Follow up question, does the new headset come with the iphone 3GS? If so, if I wanted to replace the headset, would I have to send it all the way back to Taiwan/Australia, or would I be able to exchange it for a new pair here in the US?

So confusing! :confused: Thanks for the help.

-Dustin

2. applecheese macrumors member

vodafone is selling the 16gb 3GS for $1100 and i think $80 to unlock it.

3. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm assuming it's 1100 AUD, which comes out to $877.82 at the current exchange rate.

So with the unlock feature, it's...957.82? Plus about 80-100 bucks to ship it back if someone can't mule it for me.

so relatively $1,000 for a 16GB? that's a complete utter ripoff...

4. Que macrumors 6502

apple stores in australia are selling unlocked 3g s'.

http://blogs.news.com.au/couriermai...ts/telstra_gives_new_iphone_users_the_finger/

"Or, even better, will you buy the iPhone outright? Reports are flooding in this afternoon that Apple retail stores will be selling the iPhone 3GS outright and unlocked. Yes, that’s right, unlocked. It will reportedly cost $879 for the 16GB version and $1040 for 32GB, which is cheaper than Vodafone’s offering."

5. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

any idea on what price and if i would have to cancel any contract plan or anything?

hmm

"Or, even better, will you buy the iPhone outright? Reports are flooding in this afternoon that Apple retail stores will be selling the iPhone 3GS outright and unlocked. Yes, that’s right, unlocked. It will reportedly cost $879 for the 16GB version and $1040 for 32GB, which is cheaper than Vodafone’s offering. "

eesh.

6. Que macrumors 6502

read the link i put in above, it tells you pretty much everything about the australia launch

7. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

only question i have is, is the 1040 in AUD or American dollars?

1040 AUD = roughly 830 American dollars.

8. Que macrumors 6502

it's an australian website so australian dollars.

9. pelicanflip thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmk, so it'd be 830 + about 100 to ship it...so $930.

A bit pricey, but for a 32GB, it's not that bad... Thanks for the link, really appreciate it.

Has anyone heard anything from Taiwan? One of my family members is going back to Taiwan in a couple of weeks, so it'd be nice if they could pick one up for me...

--EDIT--

Nvm...just read that Taiwan's market is only selling the iPhone 3GS starting in August. BOO.

10. Que macrumors 6502

no worries

11. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

Hi guys, I'm from belgium! Pm if you need some help, perhaps I can help out. But I'm leaving for thailand and australia in 2,5 weeks, so don't have much time though..