iPhone 3gs Autofocus problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stubi, Aug 1, 2009.

1. stubi macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I think my autofocus had a problem. When I open the camera app sometimes the focus can't set the image sharp and than it tries again and again the whole time with the speed of a mashinegun ;-)
    This makes a rattle sound. *
    In the video mode I have the same problem I've recording a video and loadet it up to YouTube you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeJCNrtgUg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeJCNrtgUg

It looks like a under water record and you can hear the rattle sound from the autofocus.*
    First I was thinking this is a problem by bad light situations bud now I have the problem also by good light situations.*
    Had everyone an idea what problem this is?
    Software or Hardware?
    Can everyone confirm this problem?
    Thanks for your help.*

2. loderunner macrumors newbie

Same issue

Hi,

today I discovered the same issue with my 3GS (owned since start of july, made fair amount of pictures):

- I first discovered the camera was focusing very badly (even though it was fairly dark & close to the subject)
    - suddenly I heard some irregular ticking sounds;
    when I realized it was my phone I first immediately shut it down...
    then I turned the phone to silent mode with the switch, and tried again;
    - especially on a dark, closeby subject, a first irregular, and than faster repeating clicking sound is hear.
    - when it gets bad, the picture on the display (with camera app turned on; so a 'live' image) starts to 'wobble', especially in the corners/near the frame.
    - when shifting to a brighter and farther away image, the sound stops..

I did pretty extensive search on the net, but found almost nothing!

I will have to bring my iphone to t-mobile and pray to get it back soon (expected 2 weeks; it would be nice if this was somehow a known issue so they do a quick repair/replacement); I will miss it a lot!

cheers

3. oxiabit macrumors newbie

Hi
    i discoverd same problem with my iPhone 3gs. There is a bad motor Sound( or sth like) repeating on lens when I tap to focus. I guess there is sth wrong with lens way. What happened to your iPhones. how did you Solve this situation. Did service replace or repair yours. Did they say anything about underwarranty or not.

Sorry for bad English

4. loderunner macrumors newbie

well, I can't really help you: since I had the following 'solution' to this issue:
    - 3 days later my phone fell in the water, and although it lasted only a second or so, the phone was damaged and I had to send it in, without any warranty due to the water...

please try to find a better solution..