iPhone 3GS availability in store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Colonel Badger, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

So after the mass buying spree for the new iPhone 3GS what is the general availability in stores. Do I need to wait a few weeks or is it likely that i'll find one in a near ATT or Apple store?

C. Badger.

2. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

The Apple Store Online has them in stock. My local Apple store was all sold out on Friday. They did get some more on Saturday, but when I called they said the line was at least a two hour wait. Plus it was first come first serve. You should just order online and have it within a few days. Better then standing in line.....waiting!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone just ordered and it was 1-2 weeks ship time from at&t.

4. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

i don't think the 2 day thing is right. i ordered mine saturday from AT&T online and said it was 7-14 days.

5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I walked in to the Apple store last night just before it was about to close and picked up my new iPhone with no line.

They only had sold out of the 16g white.

Quick and painless.

6. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

is the white one selling more than the black one this time around?

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

They might have had many fewer of them. The only thing we can conclude is that the demand for 16GB White was greater than what they stocked. For example they may not have expected to sell many, and may have stocked very few of them.

8. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

The AT&T stores in my city (no Apple stores locally) are all sold out -- they're saying 7-14 days.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The demand for the 16gb is probably surprising to many as many pissed and moaned about more storage and now ... well, 16gb seems to be enough.

10. brax.j macrumors regular

Apple has more than AT&T and AT&T has to wait for Apple to ship them more. If you order from Apple you will have it in a few days.

11. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Yeah, I would order online from Apple if you want it shipped directly to you or go to an Apple store. As with all three launches, Apple has much, much more supply than does AT&T and plus Apple has been a little more reliable with shipping.

12. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

It's worth checking Best Buy I got mine there after APPL and ATT were sold out...

Cheers.

-J.-

13. klb028 macrumors 6502

can I start my contract by going into AT&T and THEN purchase the iPhone at an Apple store? or can I do everything at Apple? my 2 local AT&T's are all sold out. just wondering! :)

14. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Is it more preferable to buy the iPhone 3GS for 799$-899$ + no contract or to buy the iPhone 3GS for 199$-299$ + 3 year contract ?

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The only way to find out is by calling your local stores

16. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Definitely available at my store!

If you can get there, get there. Else, order online. Because AT&T always seems to be low on them.

17. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

When I went to local APple store on Sunday they were out of the 16GB 3GS but had the 32GB 3GS (I picked up one!). They also had 8GB and 16GB of the 3G.

18. FetalSage macrumors regular

I waited in a 15-20 minutes line, was number 13th or so in line. This was at the Stockton store here in San Francisco. They had many in stock. (this was yesterday)

19. chrbau macrumors member

Northridge Ca. Had quite a bit of all colors and sizes and a line of about 10 :D

20. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Problem seems to be when a store runs out they have to have them shipped from China just like when you order one from the Apple Store. I ordered on the 18 and mine is sitting in China waiting to leave today. The expected delivery time is the 25th before 10:30am. It would seem that it would be better to have a large stock in a warehouse in the US and ship from there but I guess I'm just not as smart as Apple. Then you could have anyone taken care of in a couple of days at most. I think it's called making a demand for the product.

21. robd54 macrumors member

Best Buy

I went to 2 AT&T stores today that were sold out, then went to a Best Buy and he had every option of size/color. Said they got a bunch in this morning and plan to always have them in stock. I figure Best Buy/Walmart are you best bet. Especially BB as you can get reward zone points!

22. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Yes....

But AT&T is giving the longer timeline based on a conservative estimate. If you order the phone online from the Apple Store it is faster.

When I checked on Friday, it said ships in 2-4 business days. That means probably less than a week for most.

Didn't do it as I had some local options and snagged on on launch day.

23. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

Unfortunately, since I was adding a line, I had to do it through AT&T. :p Hopefully, they were giving me an exaggerated version of how long it would take, though, so that I'd be pleasantly surprised if it got here earlier. (Hey, a girl can hope!)

24. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

i ordered mine online through AT&T, so I was given the normal 7-14 days.

I'm hoping only 7 though!

I now wish I had ordered through Apple.com.

25. meagain macrumors 68030

1. It's not $799/$899. It's $599/$699.
    2. It's not a 3-year contract. It's a 2-year.