iPhone 3GS backlight problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Shev, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Shev macrumors newbie

I had a bit of an accident with my iPhone about 8 weeks ago, some tool spilt their drink down my leg, which got liquid into the docking port of the phone (sensor has been tripped)

The backlight died and the phone wouldn't play sound out loud, although if it was rang it was fine (??) I left it switched off and the next day it started to function normally again...

couple of weeks later and the backlight has died again, this time for good. i've tried resets etc, and it looks as if it needs a hardware repair, an LCD screen one would assume. The phone has been opened by a 3rd party, and they quoted a £110 repair, so i've decided i'm going to buy the part and fix it myself.

Will replacing the LCD solve the problem, as i have read of occasions where this has not fixed a backlight problem?
    Any ideas on where I can get the cheapest deal on a replacement 3GS LCD screen?
    Could this be a problem thats related to something other than LCD?

cheers

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

It might fix your problem but if the connector on the logic board is damaged then it has probably had it. All you can do it buy an LCD off ebay - they aren't cheap at £60 I think last time I replaced one. 3GS parts are very expensive.

3. Shev thread starter macrumors newbie

If the logic board was damaged, would the phone be worth anything on ebay etc? as i can imagine that there's bound to be someone who would be able to fix it...

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I would imagine there'll always be some sort of demand for this type of damaged iPhone. People love disassembling and using or selling them as parts (I'm one of them:))

5. Shev thread starter macrumors newbie

6. excoyote macrumors newbie

How?

Hi, How You fixed your backlight. I have the same problem, change lcd and backlight still not work.

7. tomrr25 macrumors newbie

Can I ask how you fixed it Shev? Im having a backlight problem after a screen change. Not sure how to fix it. Thanks Tom.

8. Mr Macedawg macrumors newbie

Hi there, When you put the new screen in your iPhone did you happen to notice any corrosion on the connection on the motherboard?

9. tomrr25 macrumors newbie

Hi, no didn't see corrosion. A friend asked me to change the case on his iPhone as i'd done mine. Also his screen was cracked so I changed that, but he'd brought a 3G screen not a 3GS screen. I didn't realise that untill it didn't work when I switched it on. I think i've shorted something trying to fit the wrong screen. Everything i've read points to the backlight coil but I don't know how to change it, plus i'm not sure i've got the skill to either. It looks way to small and I really don't want to mess it up and ruin the phone as it isn't mine. Any help at all would be much appreciated as I need to fix it asap as he's currently using mine because I felt guilty!
    Thanks in advance Tom.

10. vinit macrumors newbie

iphone 3GS 32Gb backlight problem

:( I have the same problem as stated by several users, initially it came back after switch off/on and stays for longer. But Now backlight is not working at all even after on/off switch and reset. I have tried everything. But please let me know how to fix it. Phone is working well with all options except backlight.

Please let me know the solution soonest..please please...please

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

11. Techsick macrumors newbie

The solutions for 3G and 3GS are different. Here is the one for 3GS.
    With high res images.
    Should have one up for 3G soon
    It is extremely difficult, but if you can find a plasma TV or electronics repairer, they can probably do it for you reasonably cheaply.

12. johnbinsc macrumors newbie

Can you explain this solution?

Hi techsic or other,

Why would running one wire fix the problem with a bad component?

Is the functionality the same as original when the repair is finished?

Not my intention to question whether it works, but it does not seem like this fix should restore original function. Certainly the problem must be more than simply the connection between those points having been broken.

Any additional insight would be appreciated.

13. Shayma macrumors newbie

I'm also having problems with the backlight how did you fix your :(