iPhone 3GS Backup To Be Readable On iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AngelasAshes, Jun 13, 2010.

1. AngelasAshes macrumors newbie

AngelasAshes

Hello, I have a 32GB iPhone 3GS. I plan on gettting a 32GB iPhone 4 on the twenty-forth and was wondering what would be ported to the new iPhone. I am very eager to know if my settings and personal things would make their way to the new iPhone. Primarily, I am concerned about saving my text message threads. I have threads that date back to when I first got my phone and they have a priceless value to me. Make fun if you wish but I am concerned and was wondering if anyone could give me a solid response. I do know that the backup does preserve nearly everything because I did get a replacement recently under AppleCare. The replacement iPhone 3GS used the backup via iTunes and all my settings, texts, and pictures were saved. So... does anyone want to shed some light?

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Yes, your 3GS backup will preserve everything, just like if you did a restore of your phone now. I went from a 2G to a 3G and this happened; I can't see Apple changing the process midstream now. It'll be easy and MAGICAL :rolleyes: :D:apple:

3. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

An iTunes backup is a backup. You wont have any issues, just backup the 3GS and then sync the iPhone 4 and choose to restore from backup. It is NO different than restoring to the replacement phone you got previously.

4. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I would not recommend it though. I say this because restoring from a backup restores preference files, which may differ from 3GS to 4... Jus my $0.02

5. Espo macrumors 6502

I remember at one point, i was having an issue with my 3G and an Apple Genius recommended I restore my phone but set up as new because there may be somehting from the previous backup file causing an issue. Would this apply to iPhone 4? WOuld it be best to set up as new?

6. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

New phone - I would set up as new, unless you have some un-restorable data on your current phone...

7. Espo macrumors 6502

Thats what I was thinking... THanks.

Un-restorable; arent Texts and maybe some specific app files, the only un-restorable files?

8. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I have online game files - like an Imobsters identity - that I think will have to be restored via my backup.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

No reason it shouldn't. I've been one of those crazy people upgrading through each model.

So I used the backup to restore from the original, to 3G, and then to 3GS restoring from the backup with each new device. It's worked every time, and I've even still got a tally of all my data usage all the way back to the original iPhone launch.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It should work fine. I had a backup of an original iPhone and loaded it to my iPhone 3GS when I got it. Same kinda thing as using Time Machine on Macs. You should be fine.