iPhone 3Gs baseband flash failure

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BillBagoosh, Dec 29, 2011.

1. BillBagoosh macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have an iPhone 3Gs running on iOS 5.0.1(9A405) and the serial number xx143. I had the baseband 05.15.04 and tried to change it to 06.15.00 using redsn0w and the iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw.
    The flash did not work and now the phone is having all kinds of problems. For example, the phone constantly reboots every minute or so. Is there anyway to recover from this? Can I reflash the phone with an older OS and baseband? Or, did I do permanent damage to the hardware? If that is the case, can I have it repaired?
    Thank you for any info and please let me know if I left any information out.

Thanks.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You already did a permanent damage to your phone. 3gs with manufacture date of 2011 week 35 or above will face this issue. Your phone is 2011, week 43, so it falls under this one.

You might want to downgrade it to 4.1 and see what happen.

Good luck!

3. BillBagoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply Crystal-RX.
    That is what I was afraid of :(

When you say downgrade to 4.1, do you mean I should flash the baseband using redsn0w with a 4.1 ipsw?

Thank you

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

1. Download 3GS 4.1 to your computer.
    2. Download tiny umbrella to your computer.
    3. Put your phone in DFU mode, shift +restore (if you have PC) or Option + restore (if you have Mac), then point it to 4.1 fw.
    4. Itunes will restore your phone.
    5. At the end of the restore process, Itunes will give you a 1015 error. hit okay, close Itunes.
    6. Open tiny umbrella, click on your device on upper left hand corner, then hit exit recover on the upper right hand corner. Your phone should boot up to activation screen.
    7. Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to install Ipad baseband.
    8. Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to install Cydia (reason to do it separately because if you do them at the same time, redsn0w might crash.)
    9. Install ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock your phone.

The reason you can downgrade to 4.1 without SHSH blobs save because Apple still sign this firmware. So, you are okay to downgrade.

5. BillBagoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful.
    On step 3, when you say point to 4.1 fw, do you mean point itunes to 4.1? (If so, I am not sure how to do this.) Or, should I use redsn0w to flash using the 4.1 fw?
    Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm hopeful this will get me somewhere!

Thank you.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

When your phone is in DFU mode, Itunes will inform you that it is in recovery mode and it needs to be restored. Shift + restore (PC) or Option+restore(Mac) a pop up window will appear to allow you to pick a firmware to restore. This is when you point it to 4.1 firmware.

After your phone restore to 4.1, then you can use redsn0w to flash an Ipad baseband.

7. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

Yeah, I think iPhone 3GS's made during or after July 2011 (week 28 and later) uses a Toshiba baseband versus a Infineon baseband chip, which were used to 3GS's prior to July. The Infineon baseband was susceptible to the 06.15.00 iPad baseband flash, but the Toshiba one isn't. Since your 3GS looks to be a newer one, you might've caused some irreversible damage. :(

8. King Royalty macrumors newbie

This is the **** that confuses me I thought it was week 38 and higher?

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

10. King Royalty macrumors newbie

yea i read that its week 30 or higher so pretty much makes me give up now since my serial is xx130x fml

11. bigjee macrumors member

so 3Gs's with serial numbers after week 35 can still be flashed with ipad baseband but they have to be done at ios 4.1?

IS that what you guys are saying?

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Actually now, we have info a week 28 phone was damaged by trying the iPad baseband. so I am saying week 27 and after are dangerous

http://bit.ly/zFf6tB

----------

If you flash the iPad baseband to your phone made in 2011, week 35, you will kill the cellular radio.
    Firmware is not a factor, only manufacture date

http://bit.ly/zFf6tB

13. b0bab0i macrumors regular

No, do not try unlocking phone/touching baseband if you have a phone made after week 35 of 2011.

14. bigjee macrumors member

K thanks for the clarification.
    I was going to flash a week "157" phone otherwise. :eek: