Iphone 3gs battery drain right away when unplug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnnybrav0, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Johnnybrav0 macrumors member

Morning everyone,

I unplug my iphone 3gs this morning as I was going to work...I notice that it was 100% but when I unplug it...it drops to 98% right now.... it just drop again to 97%....

Is this normal? As of now I'm waiting for it to drop under 95% so I can recharge and see if I can duplicate this issue....

Has anyone else experience this bad?

2. lavinci macrumors 6502

Do you have anything running in the background for push or email?

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

There is def a problem with the charging, and honestly, I think Apple is trying to make a buck...

If you notice while your phone is charging it will periodically drop as far down as 98% when its not being used. Doesnt seem like a big deal does it? Well it is. You can go through several charge cycles per night depending how bad this is. A normal charge cycle is 100% of the battery used. So if you use 50% today, thats half a cycle. If the charger allows 2% to drain every 10 minutes... well you see the issue.

It also wont stay at 100% when running GPS. GPS drops the charge down regardless of if its plugged in.

My guess is the phone is stopping its charge the second it hits 100% and isnt running from the charger at all times. Easy way for Apple to make money off your battery replacement.

4. Johnnybrav0 thread starter macrumors member

Nope....no push or anything....but I did notice this after installing facebook apps....

I will test it out and see....

5. lavinci macrumors 6502

Try a full restore on iTunes and see if that helps.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I suggest you turn of the battery percentage before you lose your mind. What you're seeing is nothing out of the normal. You're talking about 2 and 3 percent changes. Read through all the threads on here about these issues. Most likely all you have is a battery calibration issue, if that. You'd need more history to know for sure. Really, relax.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

RIIIIIIGHT. cross-reference that with all the anal-retentive posters returning their iphones for the littlest issue and I am SURE Apple is looking to make a buck.

(dripping sarcasm....)

8. Johnnybrav0 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not going to return if it's not a problem...I've recalibrate the battery the first day I got the phone....http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

I just want to know if that was normal and if others have experience what I have experience so we can share ideas....

9. joedirt88 macrumors newbie

Its normal. The 3.0 update needs to be tweaked on the next update. I had mine for 4 days and had the same results. Took it back and swapped it out for a newer production dated one. It does the same thing. And after talking to about 10 friends who also have this the 3gs....theyre complaining about the same problems.