iPhone 3GS battery dying

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cc2096, Jan 17, 2010.

1. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

So yesterday I noticed that the battery on my 3GS went from 100% to 30% in less than half a day. The catch, I didn't really use it for anything (1 call less than 10 min, a couple of email checks and that was about it). Before yesterday I always got about a days heavy use from the phone. Today it seems worse as I actually saw the battery drain 30% in 10 min. I am planning to take it in this week to have the Apple take a look at it. Has anyone else experienced such extremely horrible battery life?

Keep in mind I've owned every iteration of the iPhone from the beginning (2G, 3G, 3GS) and use my device constantly, and i've never had battery trouble like this.

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Are you jailbroken?

Have you tried restarting the phone?

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

What have you installed recently? Jailbroken? Utilizing Push and Push Notifications? Location Services?

4. cc2096 thread starter macrumors regular

cc2096

Jailbroken = no
    Restart = yes
    Apps installed lately = none

I am using push for email and facebook, but i have been before Saturday and never had a problem. I am going to do a full reset of the OS and see if that helps. This is really confusing the hell out of me.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

That started happening to me last week. But the kicker happened when I was in the middle of a call, and then all of a sudden, the screen went black except for the frozen spinning wheel. It took around 5 minutes to restart the iPhone.

Luckily, I was going to the Apple Store for an appointment anyway (to have the loose 'M' key on my MBP keyboard replaced), so I gave it to the Genius for testing.

He ran a diagnostic, told me there was a problem, and gave me a brand new iPhone.

6. gco212 macrumors 6502

If you don't mind me asking, how old was the phone in question. I have a 3G that's about 15 months old and am really getting killed on battery life. Any chance the diagnostic will cover me (if I recall correctly, it's something like 500 charge cycles with at least 80% of the original claims of Apple).

7. Surely Guest

Surely

I have a 3GS. Got it in the summer.

If you're out of the warranty period, I highly doubt you would be covered.

8. BeastCoast macrumors newbie

Exact Same Problem

I am having the identical problem. I have not added any new apps in the last 3 days, nor have I changed any settings, but now the battery on my 3GS goes from 100% plugged in to 90% in less than 1 minute, and then drops by 15% or more every time I look at it. All in all I have made one 5 minute call and sent 2 texts over the past 7 hours (slow day!) and it's now at 35%.

Did you have any luck with the geniuses?

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I have now owned 1 3gs and 4 3g phones... all of them battery life sucked compared to my original 2g iphone which Ive owned for almost 3 years now. and 3g doesnt matter I ONLY use wifi on all of my devices

10. cc2096 thread starter macrumors regular

cc2096

Never actually made it to the Apple store to have the genius' check it out. I wound up doing a full restore and that solved my problem. Battery life has been great since then.

11. osiris08 macrumors newbie

Iphone 3gs

I have had my iPhone3gs since march, and I have had a heck of a time with my battery life. I work for AT&T and need to have my phone on 24/7 for service calls. But my battery will last me maybe half the day if I DONT use it. When I check the battery life it states that I have over a day of standby remaining. I have tried everything. Turning it off and back on, restoring it, deleting apps, disabling push, disabling wifi. All for nothing. I used to charge it every few days, but now I need to charge it every ten minutes.