iPhone 3GS battery - is it draining quicker?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by InfiniteLoopy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I've noticed, especially this week, that my 3GS' battery *seems* to be draining quicker. Is it possible as the phone gets older that the battery's capacity decreases? Can anything be done?

My usage is the same, maybe just the Kindle app has been used more...

--

Two other questions:
    - Does leaving apps "open" use battery? (I tend to always close the ones I don't use often), but maybe I should only have a couple open?

- I'm thinking of starting charging it at work when necessary. They use the powerline for networking (and regular ethernet networking too) and I wonder if plugging an iPhone charger into one of these plugs may somehow connect my iPhone to their network or make it accessible, which I definitely don't want. I realise that this sounds ridiculous but as I'm not 100% sure how these work, I just want to make sure ... :eek:

Thanks,

2. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

I'm sorry I can't help you with all your questions but I do know for a fact that yes, over time the battery's ability to hold a charge does decrease and little by little it's performance starts to degrade.

These batteries only have so many charge/discharge cycles in them :(

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPhone batteries, just like all rechargeable batteries, lose their ability to hold a charge. iPhone batteries are designed for about 300 charge/drain cycles. My launch day 3Gs hit 500 cycles the other day. Its at 1100mha out of 1200mha right now.

Having apps open do drain the battery a bit. Plugging your iPhone in to your work's powerline for network will not make your iPhone visible on the network.

4. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello.

Thanks for replies.
    How do you see how many cycles you have? Is there an app?

Glad to read that I can plug into the powerline without making iPhone accessible. :p

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only app that shows your battery cycles os BatteryDetective. It's a jailbreak app so you can have it only if you're jailbroken.

6. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I haven't jailbroken (don't intend to) so that's no good for me.
    Thanks anyway.