Iphone 3gs battery issues - TRIED EVERYTHING! :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Macbookpronewb, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Macbookpronewb macrumors newbie

Ok, 2 days ago my iPhone 3gs went crazy. The battery was going from 100 % to 20 % in a few minutes. Recharging, oddly, took only 5 minutes! Tried multiple restores, updated software, jailbroke, removed jailbreak, removed all apps, reinstalled apps, killed background procesessess. Still no Joy.

I checked the usage when at 20% - it said 7 minutes.

Settings:
    3G : off
    Push : off
    Wifi : ON
    Bluetooth : off
    Fetch : off
    Airplane mode : off

During the time the battery drained so fast I only sent a couple of texts..
    Where do I go from here?
    tHanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You probably need to go to the Apple store and have them diagnose whether your battery is bad. Sounds like it is.

In the meantime, you could calibrate the battery by letting it discharge until it turns off and then recharging to 100%.

If that doesn't help, then you restore in DFU mode and setup as new. They'll ask if you restored it anyway.

3. Macbookpronewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I live in Greece and there is no Apple Store here. I bought my iphone factory unlocked from Italy.

But anyways, how will "recalibrating (?)" the battery help my iphone?

Thanks!

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It will at least make sure your meter is accurate. It doesn't do anything to help the battery.

5. johnnypalmera macrumors newbie

Hi! I have an italian factory unlocked 3GS too, with the same symptoms.

Here is what I did to fix it: let your iphone run out of battery!! When it does, wait like 15 minutes, and try to power it up again. Surprise! It is still charged! Let it run out again (I did it with max brightness, playing a 3d game, with everything ON), repeat this steps until it no longer powers up.

Then leave it charging until 100%, wait a couple hours more just in case.

After a week of weird battery charge level jumps, this has made my iPhone behave again.

Hope it helps :) (I like to call this method SUPERCALIBRATING hehehe)