iPhone 3GS battery problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RQPS, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

Is anyone else having problems with their 3GS battery? Mine is very inconsistent, the percentage will actually go up from time to time for example tonight it went from 50% to 63% in a matter of minutes on its own. Also it says that its fully charged after only a few minutes of charging. Is this something I should return it for? I really don't want to return a brand new phone and get a refrub back!

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Everytime I restart my (3G) phone the percentage jumps up.

3. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

perhaps the battery percentage is just inconsistent and it may be better to just turn it off hahah

4. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Sorry, no

5. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

well mine just went from 56% to 24% while sleeping in the last 5 minutes so

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Try running the 'phone down completely and then recharge it to 100%. This should reset the battery meter.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Power cycle it:

Use it till it actually turns off (battery will be almost empty).

Leave it for a couple of hrs so that it even drains more.

Connect AC and leave it to charge till it is 100%.

Enjoy :p

8. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

I have done all that! It just went from 56% to 24% while sleeping in a matter of 5 minutes. Just made an apt at the Genius bar tm

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That seems to be the best option!

10. kapnclinton macrumors newbie

Sometimes, my battery meter drops to 0% randomly and the phone auto-shuts down. Very annoying, and if it doesn't stop happening after another full battery cycle, I will be making a fuss.

11. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Op please update us on what the genius says...

I'm having HORRIBLE battery life. Even with 3g off.

12. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

Yeah I do as well. This is the second time I will be brining the phone in so I am sure I will get a replacement I did what they told me to do the first time which was restore it to factory settings and not create a backup from a previous phone. But I will deff keep you updated on what happens!

13. enigmaverse macrumors member

Are any of you running MS Exchange? I found disabling contact and calendar in Exchange dramatically improved my battery life. shutting exchange off completely did wonders. I got my replacement from Apple today. I'm charging it now, setting it up tonight and letting it charge completely overnight... should give it about a 20 hour near continuos charge.

I'm really starting to think the issue is with MS Exchange

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So why would you get a replacement?

15. enigmaverse macrumors member

because I am still suffering from other issues as well.... and the replacement was already on the way when I discovered this today. I want to see if that is truly the problem by testing the new one against the old with Exchange on.

16. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

So they gave me a brand new one right off the shelf no refurb.... and let me keep my old one, so I now have two 3GS's....

17. detroit1 macrumors regular

18. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

Don't know what I am going to do with it? I meant he battery really is messed up but that has to be an easy fix for apple? I am pretty sure they are gonna call and ask for it back when they realize what happened. I don't want to call and get the guy that helped me in trouble though so i'm gonna it on it for a while!

19. stade1979 macrumors member

I go to the Apple Store and the Guy told me if I put my backup file of 2.2.1 on My Iphone 3GS with the 3.0 there's a battery glitch with the old backup and Apple are aware of this mators. So I restore my 3gs completely with no backup restart from scratch. The battery is much better with this.

See you