Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevdog1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I have this big problem with my 3GS.... about 2 months ago it fell into a swimming pool :( I let it sit on my kitchen table to dry out and have not touched it. So today I was just wondering if it was going to work, and I plugged it in and it actually started up! Everything works perfectly to my suprise except the battery will not charge. It says it has 15% battery, and wont charge anymore. If I remove the charger it immediately turns off? I still think there is life for my IPhone. Anybody have any suggestions? Does the battery need replaced?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its not the battery.
Its because of electrical shorts on your phones mainboard.
Next time try not to let it swim in the pool.
Nothing much you can do but get it replaced at Apple for $200.

kevdog1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
So there is absolutely nothing I can do to fix it?? I cant take it to a cell phone repair shop?

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
So there is absolutely nothing I can do to fix it?? I cant take it to a cell phone repair shop?

It's fate calling you to get an iPhone 4 :p If not just bring it in for an OOW (Out of Warranty) replacement, it should cost you $199 for the 16GB version or $299 for the 32GB.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
It's fate calling you to get an iPhone 4 :p If not just bring it in for an OOW (Out of Warranty) replacement, it should cost you $199 for the 16GB version or $299 for the 32GB.

The OOW replacement is $199 no matter which model phone you have.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I fix water damaged iPhones every day! if you know how to do it you need to take apart your iPhone. I am guessing after 2 months it is dry. clean all of the connectors on the mother board with alcohol. now the first thing to go bad in a water damaged iPhone is the doc connector. this has your charger hooked to it as well as a bunch of other stuff! for some reason the batteries seem to go bad after being in water but your main problem most likely is the doc. I normally charge $50 for a successful water damage repair. I charge $60 for the doc connector installed and would clean the board also for that. so find a repair shop in your area and if they have any skills at all they should be able to take care of this for you for less than $100. I am in no way trying to get your business I am just telling you that your phone can be fixed for less money than the OOW replacement that apple offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.