Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Hello, I used and loved my white 3Gs when it was new and I really regret the decision of selling it as I like to collect one of each generation and that was a perfect example of one. My question is that if I get one one used and then send it to Apple to get the battery replaced would they replace the whole device with an Apple Refurb? That would be the best case scenario as it would look pristine. Does anyone have experience with doing this?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
No. Chances are, Apple would simply replace the battery and nothing else. Try contacting AT&T and ask about purchasing a refurbished 3GS. A buddy of mine just purchased one several months ago. I believe it was a replacement phone so he only paid $75

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
So you just want it for a sort of reminder of what phones were like back then right? I know I had a similar thought after selling one of my first smartphones, and I had the chance to buy a refurb one in great condition for around $50. Turns out though that since it wasn't actually MY device, it just looked like a piece of cheap technology and held no memories for me. Just a thought.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Apple will replace the battery. Why will they give you a refurb one?

I suggest you to get one from craiglist or ebay.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Hello, I used and loved my white 3Gs when it was new and I really regret the decision of selling it as I like to collect one of each generation and that was a perfect example of one. My question is that if I get one one used and then send it to Apple to get the battery replaced would they replace the whole device with an Apple Refurb? That would be the best case scenario as it would look pristine. Does anyone have experience with doing this?

Here is one, but the condition is a little rough.

http://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-3gs-att

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking at one on eBay right now that seems to be in great condition but still would be lovely to have a real Apple refurb but I won't complain. It has to be white and it has to be in good condition and it's pretty hard to find a good one.

I don't mind that it's not the one I used to own, I would use it as an iPod touch of sorts and I just miss the 3G/s body style.

EDIT: I should've mentioned that I've already tried to buy a NEW one on eBay and when I received it, it was very clear to me that it was a seller refurbished item. The box was just shrink wrapped and was fake anyway, fake serial number info etc. Also after looking up the device's serial #, I found out it was originally a black one! And the battery would shut down at like 50%. Beware of these so called "new" old generation devices on eBay.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I won the auction and got what looks to be a great one for 40 bucks. I'll post pictures here when it arrives. Kinda funny to be excited about a phone that was released in 2009 but it's lifecycle always impressed me and how snappy they still run on iOS 6. My grandma uses a black one on iOS 4 still hehe

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No. Chances are, Apple would simply replace the battery and nothing else. Try contacting AT&T and ask about purchasing a refurbished 3GS. A buddy of mine just purchased one several months ago. I believe it was a replacement phone so he only paid $75

You can get an "out of warranty repair" for your phone, unless it is too old. 4s cost me £160 and was brand new; 3GS would be about £100. I suppose they ran out of refurbished 4s and now they make new ones and put them straight into "refurbished" boxes.

BTW. I bought a used 3GS as the perfect iPod replacement. 32 GB of music, excellent sound, and it has a camera, video camera, GPS, can make phone calls, can access the internet...

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Well, it's a success. I only paid 40 dollars for this great condition phone. I cleaned the nooks and crannies with a q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol and it worked great. Battery life doesn't seem bad for a phone produced in December 2009 (as per http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html Not bad performance on iOS 6 either considering it's age. Here's some pics...

IMG_20150224_212521_zpsmxhhbahk.jpg

IMG_20150224_212550_zpsbththaui.jpg

IMG_20150224_212608_zpsbxy5vun2.jpg

IMG_20150224_212632_zpsd1i5wctl.jpg

IMG_20150224_212706_zpsk3387nvc.jpg

DSC00306_zpstnowipgj.jpg

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I still have my 32GB 3GS. I charge it once in a while and use it but the speed... that speed in opening apps makes me put it back on the shelf.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Well, it's a success. I only paid 40 dollars for this great condition phone. I cleaned the nooks and crannies with a q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol and it worked great. Battery life doesn't seem bad for a phone produced in December 2009 (as per http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html Not bad performance on iOS 6 either considering it's age. Here's some pics...

Nicely done and it looks like it is near new condition. I have been doing the same thing as you are. I was lucky and got an iPhone 3G 16gb in like new condition for $40 a few weeks back. An older lady had owned it since it came out and it had been cased the whole time. Sometimes you get lucky! :D I do like the white (aka Panda) model you got.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Glad you managed to get hold of one, I feel the same way about the black iPhone 4.

Hmm, I wonder how much I could get one for on eBay...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Those pics are making me feel really nostalgic. Despite being plastic the 3G and 3gs were really beautiful phones. I stood in line early one morning during my honeymoon to get the 3gs, lol, so it always holds a special place for me. The only legacy iPhone I still have is my June 29, 2007 iPhone 8GB and I doubt I'll ever sell it unless someone offers me an actual boatload of money. But even then it would be difficult to part with. It's still in the box with the original accessories and powers up fine on like iOS 4 but has a couple scratches and a small ding in the aluminum. Can't activate it for cellular use though because Apple doesn't allow it any more, which is pretty lame.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Nicely done and it looks like it is near new condition. I have been doing the same thing as you are. I was lucky and got an iPhone 3G 16gb in like new condition for $40 a few weeks back. An older lady had owned it since it came out and it had been cased the whole time. Sometimes you get lucky! :D I do like the white (aka Panda) model you got.

Sounds like a great find too! That phone's previous owner sounds a lot like my grandmother. Always cased and running iOS 4.something, still her main phone. I'm glad we have a black and white one in the family now. ;) Crazy how snappy the older hardware is running earlier OSes! Enjoy your new(old) phone. :apple:

Glad you managed to get hold of one, I feel the same way about the black iPhone 4.

Hmm, I wonder how much I could get one for on eBay...

I actually am guilty of doing this same exact thing for a black iPhone 4...haha. I definitely sound like an iPhone hoarder at this point. But the iPhone 4 was so stunning when it was released. I found a nearly PERFECT one on Swappa, may I suggest looking there too?

Those pics are making me feel really nostalgic. Despite being plastic the 3G and 3gs were really beautiful phones. I stood in line early one morning during my honeymoon to get the 3gs, lol, so it always holds a special place for me. The only legacy iPhone I still have is my June 29, 2007 iPhone 8GB and I doubt I'll ever sell it unless someone offers me an actual boatload of money. But even then it would be difficult to part with. It's still in the box with the original accessories and powers up fine on like iOS 4 but has a couple scratches and a small ding in the aluminum. Can't activate it for cellular use though because Apple doesn't allow it any more, which is pretty lame.

They were/are beautiful phones for sure! Definitely feels very ergonomic in the hand and although plastic, very solid. The iPhone 5c has a design that looks very 3G inspired as well so it seems as Apple are fans as well. I have my first iPhone still too! It was an 8GB Original I received for Christmas in 2007. The thing got dropped in a scalding pot of boiling water, yet still powers on, functions, and even holds a charge to this day. :eek::apple: The original was so fun to own back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.