iphone 3gs.....blobs???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lucaya, Jul 31, 2010.

1. lucaya macrumors member

You all have been helping me alot figuring this stuff out...new question.

I have an iphone 3GS in emergency mode. Don't know what is was running before I stupidly erased everything.

Can I restore to 4.1 (in DF mode as no SIM) and either:

1.) wait for the jailbreak to come out?

2.) use cydia to see if blobs were previously saved?

If I seem like an idiot, please don't get mad, you all scare me on here!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you were previously jailbroken, you may be able to restore to a jailbreakable version of iOS. It all depends on whether you have saved SHSH on file. You can check by attempting to retrieve your 3.1.3 SHSH from the Cydia server using TinyUmbrella.

1) Download, extract, and run TinyUmbrella.

2) Plug in your iPhone 3GS.

3) Check the box marked "Advanced Options."

4) In the drop-down menu labeled "Device/Version:" choose "iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 (7E18)"

5) Click "Save My SHSH."

If you have your SHSH saved, you will receive a message in green saying so in the log at the bottom of the app window. You can then restore by clicking "Start TSS Server" and then holding shift (Win) or option (Mac) while you press "Restore" in iTunes and then selecting the 3.1.3 firmware file. If you don't have that file, you can download it from The iPhone Wiki.

If you do not have SHSH saved, you can of course restore to 4.0.1 and wait for the new jailbreak. You should be sure to use TinyUmbrella to save your 4.0.1 SHSH so you can always restore back to 4.0.1 in the future.

3. lakshi macrumors regular

I dont think he can save shsh for 3.1.3...apple has stopped supporting it now. He can only save shsh for 4.0.1

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I didn't say he could get them from Apple. I said he can check whether he has them saved on Cydia by trying to download them from there. If they are cached on saurik's server, he will still be able to download them.

5. lucaya thread starter macrumors member

got it...thanks.

I doubt it was jailbroken before tho. Got it second hand from someone on ATT and only had it a few months. I didn't know the blobs were only on jailbroken phone. Learning so much!

So itunes will let me update while i am in dfu mode without a SIM right?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, but you will need a SIM to activate the phone. Spirit cannot hacktivate. You can borrow an official carrier SIM, or you can try to find a phone book SIM.

8. lucaya thread starter macrumors member

ok...so, no point in updating until the jailbreak is ready if I don't have anything but my GSM SIM, THEN after jailbreak my GSM will work and I don't ever need the ATT SIM?

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you get the phone activated, you can use the upcoming jailbreak, then unlock. After the unlock, any GSM sim will work.

10. lucaya thread starter macrumors member

so I DO need an official carrier SIM??? *****...I'm on an island!!! I thought the new jailbreak etc., could hacktivate....:eek:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, you will need an official AT&T sim if thats what your iphone is locked to.
    You can find an old deactivated sim probably on ebay or CL probably.

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The new jailbreak is a userland jailbreak -- it goes into effect after activation screen, and therefore cannot be used to hacktivate.

13. lucaya thread starter macrumors member

ok gonna send for one..ebay has alot of brand new ones...but not activated yet...that'll work?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.