iPhone 3GS Boot Loop on top of Apple Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Something rather unusual (at least to me) happened to my bro-in-law's 3GS that I had just configured yesterday. Running 4.3.3, the iPhone will not boot up after a restart, with the boot loop overlaying the Apple screen. Now, I have never seen this screen in my many handlings with iPhones. I fear I'll have restore the phone, and my computer is not the computer I set up the iPhone on, of course. I attached a picture to see if anyone has seen this. The iphone isn't jailbroken and doesn't even have any factory apps on it, it is truly stock. Anyone have any idea what happened to it?

[​IMG]

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

3. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I just plugged it into the computer and iTunes recognized it as normal, but the charging tone keeps beeping and beeping. It's like the springboard won't load or something. This is really weird...

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

5. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to go ahead and do that now. It sucks though because he has a 3GS and not a 4 like myself and my mother, so I have no 3GS .ipsw's saved on the external HD and our internet at the parent's is not ideal for downloading a 425MB file. *sigh* I guess I just have to be patient. Luckily it's such a new iPhone, so there's nothing important to save on it for him.

6. jonrando macrumors 6502a

7. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was able to restore the iPhone simply through iTunes. It must have just been a bad gateway to boot the springboard or something since the phone was recognized normally through iTunes and could be synced and backed up, but with no working home screen. Very weird.*

I guess it's just one of those once-in-a-blue-mood scratch-your-head things that happens every now and then with these iDevices...

8. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Just had one of these yesterday. My mom's iPhone 3GS would not boot... Had to boot it into recovery mode and restore.... ;)

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

If you can sync and back it up before restoring wouldnt you be able to then restore from backul after downloading the 3GS.ipsw? Or would that break it again?