Iphone 3GS Bricked Please Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joshd8401, Jan 2, 2011.

1. joshd8401 macrumors newbie

I have recently tried to update my iphone 3gs jailbroken at 3.1.2 to ios 4.2.1. When i did this it bricked the phone for some reason and everytime i try to restore on itunes it say error 29. I am using a windows computer. Can i please have detailed instructions in what to do. I would also like to know why it bricked. Thank you please help me

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You sure it's bricked? A bricked phone won't even have the plug in to the itune logo on the screen.

3. joshd8401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then it may not be completely bricked. I cannot get it off the connect to itunes screen. Ive tried DFU mode,rejailbreaking irecovery . But everytime i do so it just goes back to the recovery mode screen. When i connect it to itunes it says restore, i click restore and it comes up with i must restore and update, so i do this and it goes all the way to the end until it reaches restoring iphone fiormware, this goes all the way to the end but then stops, itunes then comes up with itunes errpr 29 and the iphone reboots into recovery mode... Any ideas?

4. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

1.) run "note pad" as an adminstrator....

2.) then open: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (all files not *.txt)
    open the file named "hosts"

3.) if you have a line at the end that looks like this "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" delete it, SAVE and then restore the iphone again.

That line directs itunes to check with cydias server instead of apple to verify the software, and you want it to check with apple...

i had a similar issue with an old phone of mine a while back when i tried to update it to 4.2.1 and this fixed the issue.

5. joshd8401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried this and it still came up with itunes error 29 and then rebooted and went back to connect to itunes screen.. I dont know what to do:S

6. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

sorry...

make sure you have the latest itunes, try a different sync cable, if all else fails try a different computer. these are the suggestions that the apple guy gave me.

7. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

8. joshd8401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive already tried all of those :/

9. joshd8401 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont exactly know what to do with it ive never used it before but i have it downloaded. Would you be able to tell me what to do? Thanks

10. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2329795

Long story short, you're having a hardware failure. It just happened to jump up and bite you at the same time you attempted to DFU your phone.

Get it replaced.

Side note, if you don't know what TinyUmbrella is, what it does or why it is important, you probably shouldn't be jailbreaking.