iPhone 3GS buy on PAYG America?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TreasureIreland, Aug 11, 2009.

1. TreasureIreland macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have an iPhone 3G, however i really want a 3GS, but i refuse to pay o2's upgrade fees.

I am going to New York soon, and wondered if they sell the iphone 3gs in america on payg, and if so would it work ok when used in the uk?

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't think they have a PAYG iPhone on sale in the USA.

Even if they did, you would have to unlock it to get it working on the UK networks.

3. TreasureIreland thread starter macrumors newbie

But, if its PAYG, then it would already be unlocked, so it should work right? Or wouldnt it because its different regions?

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Nope. All of AT&T's phones, both on contract and prepaid, are sold to the consumer with a carrier lock: they will only accept AT&T SIM cards. AT&T will usually unlock most of their phones upon request with an account in good standing after 90 days of ownership, regardless of the state of the contract. But not so for the iPhone.

It was possible to purchase the original 2G iPhone and, if you failed a credit check, they'd allow you to opt in to a prepaid plan. That option was taken off the table with the iPhone 3G.

There is a no-commitment price to buy the iPhone 3G outright from AT&T. However, it too is locked to AT&T's network, and when you do activate it, it must be on a postpaid plan. (Albeit without the mandatory 2-year service commitment.)

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

O2's upgrade fees are your only option, my friend. We have no solution for you in the USA.

6. TreasureIreland thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help.

Oh well, guess i will wait til the next iPhone release next june!

As i refuse to pay o2's huge upgrade fee!