iPhone 3GS buying options: Best Buy vs Apple Store vs ATT Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parthvader, Jun 16, 2009.

1. parthvader macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for weeks now in anticipation of the new iPhone 3GS and am thrilled that it's finally here!

I'm not sure where the best place to buy an iPhone would be, being a first time iPhone buyer and all.

I've pre-ordered/pre-purchased an iPhone 32gb (white) at Best Buy already. I'm first on their list for that version, and at 9am come Friday I can go get it.

What I want to know is, is that the best move on my part? I considered having the fun of waiting in line at an Apple store starting early Friday morning, but I figured that would take forever and might not be worth the time. I also considered getting it from ATT but I heard they sold out of their preorders already.

By buying my iPhone at Best Buy, do I miss out on any advantages compared to the other two stores?

Thanks for reading, and for the awesome forums!

2. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

Stick with Best Buy your first on their list. I don't think you can beat that. :)

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you've got your name on a phone at BestBuy - by all means get it there. You will be missing out on one hellluva party at you local Apple store (and who's to say you would actually be able to get one there).

4. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Agreed with the above posts. If you have a 32GB phone with your name already on it at Best Buy, simply go get it there. Yeah, going to an Apple Store on a release day is fun with all of the employees there that clap for you for like 2 minutes straight as they unlock the doors and take in the first customers.....but after that, you'll just be purchasing a phone and leaving the store. They're not activating them in store this go around (unless you want them to), so honestly, you can be in and out of there in 5 mins flat if you have credit card in hand to buy your phone. Will you miss out on anything buying it at Best Buy....no. Is it worth going to Apple for the "experience"....sure, if you like a bunch of people clapping for you and telling you "congratulations" as you leave the store with your spiffy iPhone bag in hand.....I did it last year on Launch Day of the 3G, but I'll settle for being comfortable at home, opening my own phone (part of the fun), and activating it myself on iTunes like I did with the original version. Just my $.02.

5. JMac13 macrumors newbie

I would stick with your Best Buy pre-order. We did the same thing mostly for the convenience of being able to go pick it up anytime Friday after work and have it guaranteed and all we had to do was put down a $50 deposit. I thought it was great and they have all the tools there to transfer over my Verizon contacts while the AT&T store didn't.

6. parthvader thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the replies guys. I'll be sticking to the Best Buy plan. Maybe I'll swing by the Apple store around noon to see how they're doing there.

On a related note: Is the Best Buy $14.99 protection plan worth it for at least the first couple months? I've always had a crappy phone and never really cared for it too much. How fragile is the iPhone in normal wear and tear situations like keeping it in my jeans front pocket, leaving it in the cup holder in my car during drives, and just normal scratches that might occur from leaving it laying around on my desk? Since I'll be getting a white iPhone, I'm concerned about it.