Iphone 3GS Call/Reception Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TPS Reports, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TPS Reports macrumors newbie

Call me crazy, but I'm actually planning on buying the new iphone to use, you know, as a phone, and look forward to all the features that come with it. That said, if the phone just isn't up to par, I have to go another direction.

So, how's the actually phone working, preferably on ATT.

2. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

also

+1. I love my 3G, but I really need a phone. More than 10% :eek: drop rate seems to be wrong in my metro city in the US.

3. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Where are getting the 10% drop rate figure?

Made several call so far with no problems. Had 4-5 bars each time and sound was crisp. No droppage. My 3G was the same.

4. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

In my home. The guy in apple store told me the rate and then changed the phone. It still drops :(.

5. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Likely the service reception in your home, not the phone itself.

6. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Reception really varies per area you are in. My reception is USUALLY decent.

7. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Other AT&T phones except for my 3G work very well in my home.

8. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Reception varies...but I certainly drop alot more calls in the Houston area than my wife who is using a Nokia flip phone on AT&T. I easily drop 25% of my calls on my 2g and then 3g iphones.

For me, the iPhone is an incredible gadget that I can't live without, but a horrible phone.

9. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Not trying to sound cheesy but for the first time I can say I didn't have a drop call. The 3GS for me is way better then my 1st Gen and had no drop calls in the places I normally would. The iPhone is becoming a phone . . . Thanks AT&T for stepping it up.

10. USC_Gamecock macrumors member

Yup -- I'm in Sugar Land -- the 3GS definitely does not have the signal reception that my old MotoQ had. That said, when the signal reception is good, the quality is great.

11. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I've noticed something kind of interesting with my 3GS. With the 3G, I experienced tons of dropped calls due to living right on the edge of good 3g coverage. Rather than using EDGE, it would try to 3g network and drop the call a large percentage of the time.

With the 3GS, it just goes to EDGE first. In fact, I wasn't sure my phone was working properly. I tried making a call - it used EDGE (good signal). Went to a new room - still EDGE. In fact, I couldn't get it to switch over to 3g until I drove down the road a bit. To me, this is a good thing. It means that perhaps they've updated the algorithm to better seek the strongest network signal. Hopefully I'll have fewer dropped calls now.

12. djc6 macrumors 6502

I am also curious if the 3GS gets significantly better reception. In the fall I purchased a 3G and had to return it because at home I would simply receive "No Service" - not even EDGE. I exchanged the phone, same story. Whats troubling is that my wife and I both have Motorola RAZR V3xx's and they have no 3G reception issues and they both report 4/5 bars most of the time. We're a cell phone-only household (no landline) so reception is pretty important :)

13. Chele macrumors member

I'm very interested in the reception issues also. Where I live, we barely get a 3G signal. So I'm fine with just using the edge signal. I recently had to return the Blackberry Bold because it kept wanting to use the 3G by default and would keep dropping my calls. It drove me nuts when my edge signal was very good.

I know that the 2G signal isn't near as good but for people that don't live in a 3G area, can you turn off the 3G? That would be fantastic. I've been toying with the idea of getting an iPhone. But, if it has the capability to turn off the 3G (when I'm at home), I might be sold on it.

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Depends on location

Some areas it is terrible. I can't even call at my house some times.

15. trina27 macrumors member

I can't compare reception on 3G vs. 3GS because the 3GS is my first iphone attempt. However, I also have/had a Razr v3xx and the 3GS reception is definitely weaker. My home has great service so the 3GS still reflects 4 bars usually. But my signal at work is weaker and where my Razr would reflect 2-3 bars, the 3GS is reflecting 1. But is staying on 3G so far. Still need some time to see how it does with calls, but reception is much weaker than the Razr. And I'm a cell phone only household too. Otherwise I am loving the iphone so far.

Update: saw how to get into Field Test mode. My phone seems to be holding a 3G signal but the numerical signal is between -103 and -113...it's my understanding this is pretty bad, right?