iPhone 3GS Camera/Camera Roll Bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netslacker, Jul 4, 2009.

1. netslacker macrumors 6502

I've found an issue with the camera and camera roll that is really annoying me. This started to occur since yesterday and I can't get it to resolve itself no matter what I do. The problem is, now when I take a picture (or even a screen shot) the image cannot be accessed via the camera roll. I see the last picture taken as the thumbnail in the camera app or the front page of the roll, but when I open the camera roll they are not there. My last image is from a day or so ago.

To get the new images off, I have to plugin my iPhone and use iPhoto which happens to find all the images on the phone. Here's some screens of what I'm talking about... you can see that the camera roll shows 466 pics while actually viewing the roll shows 440 pics and 17 vids (457 total). The last 9 are nowhere to be found. (I've searched the entire roll, they are not there).

Anyone see this before? Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. maiden16tiger macrumors member

thats nothing. mine is worse. in my camera roll.. all my pics are pitch black. so it looks like a black screen,...but if i click anywhere, the actualy photo shows up...but it appears black in camera roll

3. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I would do a back up, and do a restore, and if that doesn't work call or make a appointment at a Apple Store.

4. netslacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Which phone / OS version?

5. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

that happened to me too on my 3g s using 3.0 had to do a full restore to fix and my backup was like a week old. I tried to do a backup when the phone was having this issue and it was corrupted so it's not just the camera roll. plug the iPhone in and at least try to get all your pix off before you do a restore.

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Check out this thread for a possible solution
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=738846

7. catwalk macrumors newbie

iPhone 3.0 came with new file structure; I think your iPhone didn't get converted properly when upgraded to 3.0. The easiest ways to fix this just use windows software called "uTunePhotos". After install and run the program;Go to tab "Note/Troubleshooting" then click button "Fix camera roll black icon". Below is the download link.;)

http://www.mangaware.com/Download/uTunePhotos/uTunePhotosSetup.zip

8. jamesjgill macrumors newbie

I've been having this exact same issue, on a brand new iPhone 3GS.

I took a lot of photos over a week long vacation, so I think there could be a bug in the firmware that screws the display of images in the camera roll after the number of items exceeds some figure.

It's incredibly annoying, and I ideally don't want to restore the device, but if that's the only solution I guess I have no choice.

Interesting, I have looked around a bit, and not many other people have been complaining of this problem.

9. MauiBaby macrumors newbie

3gs camera roll issue

I'm having the same problem. I do have over 3000 photos but didn't have a problem on the 3G. I called iPhone support but they hadn't heard if the issue. I too am on vacation so a restore will have to wait until I get home. Although can't see any new photos in the camera roll, I can ...and it's hit or miss...sometimes have the thumbnail pop up just after I have taken a photo/video and email it to myself so I can see or share it but it's a real inconvenience. I've seen some discussions that say that a restore doesn't fix this and that deleting all the photos in the camera roll doesn't fix it either. Does anyone out there know if anyone actually knows what the problem and fix is?