iPhone 3GS Camera won't Auto/Manual Focus

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jbrucato, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jbrucato macrumors member

I can't say how long this has been happening as I just noticed it today.

I was playing around with the camera and normally when it focuses, you can actually witness it doing so (screen gets fuzzy then image it clear). With the manual focus it adjusts the lighting and focuses on where you touch the screen.

However, in my case, the screen just adjusts the brightness but the camera never refocuses. Would this be a software problem?

I was thinking about doing a restore as a new phone and maybe that will work? Does anyone know anything about this before I erase all my data off my phone?

Thanks.

2. gretafour macrumors regular

I know this is a two year old thread, but has anyone found a fix for this? I've also started having the same problem. Is it time for a 4S?

3. jbrucato thread starter macrumors member

I took my phone into the genius bar and they replaced it saying, "we've never seen this before." I'm sorry there isn't a better fix for it!

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I think it could possibly be a software issue. I just noticed the same issue friday night taking pics at a high school football game. I just did a restore of 4.3.5 earlier friday not wanting to go to ios5 until the bugs are worked out. it wasnt like that before.

5. bagofbeef macrumors newbie

bagofbeef

I'm having some issues with the tap-to-focus ON my 4S. Believe me, I'm not trying to take macro shots (oh that I could), but I haven't been able to take a clear shot of anything that's within say, a foot of my phone. I'm just using the built-in camera app. Tapping appears to alter exposure, but focus is unaffected. I also tried for about 10 minutes to scan one of those QR codes last night with a QR reader app. No dice.

6. bespoken4 macrumors newbie

I am having problems too on the 4S. Only when using the flash though in low light photos...

Here are some examples of the problems I have:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1257811&highlight=camera+focus