iPhone 3Gs - Can i safely update without losing unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iMechanic, Dec 4, 2012.

1. iMechanic macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have an iPhone 3Gs here and I've been told is has been unlocked a year ago. I do not know what type of unlock it was.

My phone is on 4.1 now but I really want 5.1.1 to get more app-compatibility.

My question is, can I update using iTunes, without having the risk of ending up with a simlocked phone?

Kind regards

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. cmc2012 macrumors newbie

I am also in the same boat, want to upgrade to a stable and fast OS.

I will greatly appreciate step by step process as my am not too tech savoy.

Thanks

3. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Looking at your baseband, it is on the iPad 06.15.00 baseband, which means that you are on a software unlock using ultrasn0w, and not an IMEI Factory unlock.

However this is all useless point, if I am not wrong, since you never updated to 5.1.1 (hence no SHSH Blobs), and Apple stopped signing the firmware, you have no way to update to 5.1.1. You would have to go straight to 6.0.1 I believe. And I dont think ultrasn0w works on ios6.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you cannot just update.
    You have the ipad baseband installed 06.15.00 and if you attempt to update or restore to stock firmware your iphone will be stuck on a boot loop. It wont even be able to load and will always error out.
    You need to jump through many many hoops to update your firmware, keep your iphone JB and maintain your unlock.
    Not for the faint of heart or if you dont know what you're doing with JB iphones.

5. iMechanic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you for your help.

I'll have to choose between staying on iOs 4 or paying for a factory unlock i guess.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its AT&T pay the $3-4 for an unlock.
    It's well worth it.
    Then downgrade your baseband with redsnow and then you can update your firmware with iTunes.
    Don't try to update it if it still has the iPad bb installed.

7. Zifrankos macrumors newbie

It really depends on the bootrom of your device whether you can keep your unlock or not. You will definitely lose the jailbreaking and unlocking of your iPhone 3GS, but if your bootrom is old you can do an untethered jailbreak to iOS 6.0.1 and then unlock it with ultrasn0w. Mine had a new bootrom and I was not able to do a software unlock, but a friend of mine recommended me a website that can do Official unlocks. Fortunately they could support my carrier and they unlocked it in a few days. If you have a new bootrom you should check them out, they did the job for me and my friend so I guess they will be able to help you as well. Their website is Ultrasnow.EU
    Hope I helped you:cool: