iPhone 3GS car cable suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redfive19, Jul 6, 2009.

1. redfive19 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I've got a 2006 Toyota Corolla and currently have an iPod cable that's installed into the back of the factory stereo (bought it at Best Buy [I know, but they won't install it if you buy it elsewhere] - just says "peripheral" on it). That cable charges my iPod classic and I'm able to control it from the stereo (switch tracks). To access the iPod, I only need to press the "Disc" button on my factory stereo and it accesses it like a CD changer. It's a very nice, simple solution.

It also worked with my iPhone 3G to control it but did not charge it (accessory not compatible msg). I bought a Scosche adapter that allowed it to charge as well while still getting that "accessory not compatible msg" but it always made a squeeling sound that I never felt comfortable about. It's also quite thick and is often tough to connect through my InCase Slider case.

I just purchased an iPhone 3GS and am hesitant to use this same adapter with it. It never messed up my iPhone 3G but I still don't trust it. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement cable that's fully compatible with the iPhone 3GS? I'm also open to, but doubt they're made, an iPod/iPhone USB to headphone adapter. I know the sound won't be balanced, but I trust my InCase car charger more than this Scosche adapter. Thanks in advance!

2. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i use the scosche cable with my scion, i have never been confronted with some squeeling sound through out my system, stock or after i upgraded.

the sound you are getting could be feedback from a bad install at best buy...? i honestly would never have gotten anything installed at best buy, but thats imo of course. you could take it in and have them look at it.

the problem with the case not really fitting with the added on adapter though...i go naked with my iphone, so i dont know what you would have as options.

3. xerenthar macrumors 6502

the passPORT is great. why would you not want to use a product that works? wtf.

4. redfive19 thread starter macrumors newbie

that's the thing, I don't trust it. It makes this sound only when that adapter is attached. Maybe incompatible with my cable.