iPhone 3GS charging compatibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hailst0rm, Jun 19, 2009.

1. hailst0rm macrumors member

I noticed the new iPhone 3GS isn't compatible with the Dension Gateway 100 for charging. We went through all this with the 3G when Apple discontinued charging via Firewire pins. What the hell have they changed this time?!

Not looking forward to pulling my dashboard apart again.

2. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

I have the dension 300 i hope it is compatible........

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

There were products on the market for the 3G to make it compatible (kind of like a 30 pin dock connector adapter. I'd imagine you could get similar for the 3GS if it isn't compatible at the moment.

4. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

5. hailst0rm thread starter macrumors member

A list? Err it doesn't work. Plain and simple.

6. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Sorry, didn't get that you tried it. Thought you just checked the site and it only said 3G.

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah I have a USB car charger that is supposed to be 3G compatible, but it doesn't work for my 3GS. :(

8. erikemery macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from the original iPhone to a 3GS. Amazingly, when I plug the phone into my iMac ... it doesn't charge. It syncs, but it doesn't charge.

The phone charges out of the wall socket, but says it can't charge off the iMac. That seems really crazy to me. I've tried with two different USB cables: the one from the original phone and the one that came with the new phone, and neither work.

(Also, I know the dock doesn't work with the new phone. That's not the issue.)

I can sync, but not charge. Any ideas?

9. TomInOregon macrumors newbie

Just a guess, but maybe it requires a USB 3.0 port in order to charge. Apple knew it was just around the corner when they were designing the phone.

10. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

USB 3.0 uh no....

My good ol pc has USB 2.0 and charges fine.

I plugged the 3gs into my kill-a-watt meter and it charges at the exact same rate as the iPhone 3g. It only demands 5 watts max power draw, mayby 7 at max. USB ports can handle way more power draw than that. Seems apple screws something up.

11. alFR macrumors 68020

My 3GS charges fine from my Mac's USB port (early 2006 MBP), my old iPod wall charger and the included charger. Don't have a car charger to test, sorry.

12. ratpackjj macrumors member

I have a Imac and the Iphone charges. I am using a usb port on the back of the computer.