Iphone 3GS - Code 1002 (Stuck Restore)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mowbr4, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mowbr4 macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

This seems to be a known problem to some users.

Suddenly, my phone magically told me to restore it out of no where. When I did go to restore it, it would not complete the restore and gave me a Code Error 1002. I have researched and found there is no real fix to this issue since it is a hardware issue. My questions are:

1) I purchased my phone on March 15th, 2010...Will they replace it under warranty?

2) Is there anyway for me to pay the "Extra" cost to get an Iphone 4 instead?

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tonight.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Your iPhone is still under warranty, so of course Apple will replace it.

If you're not eligible for an upgrade for the $199/$299 price you can pay (I believe) $299/$399 for an early upgrade.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Was at the Genius Bar the other day for a power-surged ATV2 swap (free under warranty :D). Next to me at the bar was a kind woman who's 3GS had died with the 1004 error. She was offered a free swap (manufacturer, not Applecare) and she asked about paying for an upgrade.

The 'set' price for a warranty swap is $199. You'll actually get an invoice ($0 owed) when you swap saying that the warranty paid for it. She was offered a free upgrade to the 16GB iP4 (had the 16GB 3GS) or could pay the regular price difference for a larger one. I don't know if her case was special somehow or not.

4. mowbr4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping that they will allow me to do a "Warranty Swap" and purchase the IP4. I currently have a 32GB 3GS and if I could only pay $199, i would do it.

Any other responses are welcome.

Thanks guys!

5. Knackersjewels macrumors newbie

there is actually a way to fix it, but its probably too late by now...

6. arendale1, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

arendale1 macrumors newbie

Not too late, then how?

I'm having the exact same issue and not ready to get rid of this phone. If there is a way, and it's not too late for me, how do you do it? Please help :)
    The fixes I see are for jailbroken phones...mine is not...am I going to be forced to jailbreak to have this phone work?