iPhone 3GS continuous boot cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bossboss, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Bossboss macrumors member

Got home late last night with iPhone battery % in the single digits. Plugged it in my computer to charge via USB and went to bed. In the morning I found my phone turned off. I tried turning it on and nothing..

I plugged it into the wall outlet and the Apple logo came on. It turned on and 30 seconds later turned off. It is continuously restarting while showing either 0% battery or 100%, jumping back and forth randomly each reboot cycle.

When the phone turns on, it asks for passcode since I have a lock. It is very sluggish, slow response for everything. I cannot make a call, check voicemail, etc, send text.

I've left the phone plugged into the wall charger for 8 or so hours now, and it still shows no charge, and it just keeps restarting. When I pull the charger out of the phone it immediately turns off, indicating no battery charge. When I plug the iPhone into the computer via USB, it does not boot, and iTunes does not recognize it. I've tried hard reset (standby + home button) but nothing. I don't want to put it in recovery mode because I feel like it would not recover from it.

Anyways. I ordered a new battery from iFixit a few hours ago, and I guess it will take a week or so to get here. I hope that is the problem.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Was I correct in my diagnosis of the problem with my phone? Could it be something else? I can't imagine it being anything else since my phone was working fine before I went to sleep and was dead afterwards. Only thing I could think of was the battery dying.

Help is greatly appreciated it. I want to buy a new iPhone, but I'm holding out 'til the new one in a few months.

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Recovery shouldn't hurt it. Was it jailbroken?

3. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Putting it in recovery mode isn't a bad idea. If it doesn't work, you can easily kick it out of recovery.

I would suggest restoring before replacing the battery.

4. Bossboss thread starter macrumors member

Not jailbroken.

Ok, phone is off now and I hold down the home button. Plug the usb cable into the iphone and nothing happens (when plugged into usb port on my macbook).

When I hold down the home button and plug the usb cable into the iPhone when its plugged into the wall outlet, it goes into recovery, says plug it in iTunes. I quickly disconnect it from the outlet and plug it into the laptop, but it turns off by then.

LOL.. Ideas?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. Bossboss thread starter macrumors member

Ok... SOLUTION FOUND!

So it wasn't holding enough charge to turn on even when plugged into the computer. Big problem.

SO!!! I plugged the phone into the wall outlet, put it into recovery mode... let it sit for 15 minutes while it charged while waiting to be put into recovery mode... Surprisingly it didn't continuously reboot while waiting in recovery mode!

...and voila! It actually charged while in recovery mode. So I transfered it over to iTunes, and now doing a complete recovery. Should work :)

Thanks guys!

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

And now you'll have a spare battery for when that one actually craps out. :)