iPhone 3GS craigslist advice - any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jjhhsu, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jjhhsu macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm currently in talks with a person selling their Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB on craigslist, and I at at that point where i can accept the deal or not.

Here's the sales thread description:

"Our 12yr old grandson has won this phone in the stack the blocks game at the arcade and decided that he would rather have some new video games.
    FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE Please reply to (email)
    Ready for pick up or delivery"

Here's the link:
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mob/1384049988.html

The price seems too low... do you guys think it's a fake? Can anyone tell from the pics? Should I go for it? :confused:

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-J

2. jjhhsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. any way you could tell? Or is it just "too good to be true"

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the price is too cheap. These things are selling for like 800 dollars on Ebay and Craigslist.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I dunno.

At the malls around here, they do have iPhone 3GS offers in those stack the blocks thing.

5. MasterDev macrumors 65816

The price and the email in the description is the big give away.

I mean, people do put email addresses in the descriptions, but usually followed by a phone number in most cases. The pictures felt a little too generic.

Also, if you email them, you can ALWAYS tell by the e-mail. And if you decided to email them, I would usually send a blank email, and depending on the response I get (Or no response within two days), then it's def a fake.

There is always more too it, but this is just a basic rundown. But it's usually always a scam when the price is too good.

EDIT: It's a def fake. The pictures were taken from ebay from that logo on the bottom left.

6. jjhhsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm.. i see. Yeah... 250 is just way too good to be true
    Good point about the pictures too, i noticed those icons, but i kinda just brushed them off, clinging to my fantasy i guess.

Thanks so much for the help.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

It does seem "fake" in a sense...but if you're picking it up (instead of delivery), you'll be able to check it out and face them 1:1. Whilst, delivery and the transaction through PayPal would probably be the safest route...but if they require physical $, check, money order, it's best to NOT do it. But if it's true...that's one hell of a price :]

p.s.

-- Highly doubt it's true :(