iPhone 3GS crash and reboot whilst running Navigon app

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adamck, Sep 19, 2011.

1. adamck macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    Im not sure what is causing my iPhone to reboot on its own but recently it has done it a few times.
    The iPhone is a 3GS that ive had for around 2 years, it was plugged into my car stereo (Pioneer DVD headunit with iPod lead - made for iPhone/iPod - also charges phone) running the Navigon app.

The app runs and the sat nav is ok then it all of a sudden just reboot's the phone. its not something that always happens, it just sometimes does.

Now im not sure if its the iPhone having problems?
    The headunit and iPhone having issues?
    The iPhone overheating (gets very hot running navigon)?
    or the Navigon app crashing and causing a reboot?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

A reboot seems a little worrying as its a pretty severe crash for the phone rather than just restarting an app, the entire phone just reboots.

Thanks for any info.
    Ad.

2. Eluded macrumors newbie

Eluded

Does the phone reboot any other time, say during a charge when the phone heats up?
    :apple: Where is the phone stored in the car when used for this app?

3. adamck thread starter macrumors newbie

No the phone is generally ok when its on charge or in my pocket, it just happens when in the car running navigon.
    The phone is in an iPhone phone holder which is placed in my cupholder.

Pic of car headunit and iPhone holder.
    [​IMG]

So its not anywhere that gets particularly hot.

The other option might be the headunit? but its made for iPhone and iPod, but as it charges the phone too, this makes me wonder if its a power issue or some kind?

This is the unit
    http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/AVH-P4100DVD/index.html

Thanks

4. Eluded macrumors newbie

Eluded

Well if the app works fine not connected to the headunit, then I would assume a power issue from the headunit to the iphone as well. So incorrect voltage being sent to the the phone or possibly even a issue with the cord that is being used from the headunit to the phone, have you tried a different cord to the headunit?

5. adamck thread starter macrumors newbie

Not tried a new cord yet as they are around £35 each so not the cheapest cables.
    They are specific to the headunit too, so cant use a normal apple AV cable.

I will see how it is over the next few weeks and give it a test on my new iPhone when i upgrade next month.
    Thanks for help.
    Ad.