iPhone 3GS dead, maybe...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by azza2988, Mar 1, 2011.

1. azza2988 macrumors member

I read through different threads about people with dead iphones and only came on when doing the hard reset. If an iPhone is in this dead state should it still be recognised by a computer or display charging screen?

Reason i ask is that my iPhone 3GS could have a dodgy power button i had trouble with it for quite a while sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. This could be a reason why the hard reset will not work for me. At moment i iPhone doesn't get recognised by computer or display any charging screen.

Thanks,

If the power button is the culprit is there any other way to do hard reset? or fix a power button without opening the case?

2. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

If no one can really answer, can someone tell me if the iphone should still get recognised by a computer or show charge sign when plugged into outlet if its in a dead state that requires hard reset

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Short answer...NO. And I doubt that iTunes would be able to recognize the phone in that state. If you think that the power button is the culprit, you can checkhttp://www.ifixit.com/ for some helpful tips and pictures.

4. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

if booked an appointment at the genius bar and told them that the power button is dodgy would they open it and check there? or would they have to send it off?

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

They would probably open it right there. If it is still under warranty, they would probably just replace it.

6. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I think the genius is a free service, but I don't know if they would open it or not. Easy enough to find out...Give them a call....

8. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

9. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

Was you in warranty?