iPhone 3GS died, started working, then died again

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Synergic, May 30, 2010.

1. Synergic macrumors newbie

Three weeks ago my iPhone 3GS stopped working entirely. It wouldn't turn on, wouldn't register in iTunes, wouldn't go into DFU mode, wouldn't go into recovery, wouldn't charge etc. I was convinced it was completely dead. This all happened with 67% battery charge. I gave up trying everything I knew to fix it so I shelved it. Last night I decided to mess with it again so I took it and plugged it into the charger and to my surprise it started charging and everything was working normally except the date and time were incorrect. I charged it to 100% overnight and everything was fine until this afternoon when I took it out of my pocket to find it was dead again. But now it is back to being dead. No DFU, no recovery, nothing. I handle this phone really lightly and it has never seen water. The only environmental causes that are even plausible are heat, humidity and sweat.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to get it to come back? It is the 16gb running on 3.0.1 and is jailbroken/unlocked.

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I haven't had this problem, however, you mentioned that your iPhone has been exposed to heat, humidity, and sweat. A combination of either one of those things can cause your iPhone not to run properly. I suggest that you take it into an Apple care center near you, and have someone trouble shoot this for you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All you can do is bring it to Apple for an exchange.