iPhone 3GS - Died?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Caramello1990, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Caramello1990 macrumors newbie

I did a quick search for some nearby restaurants with my Yellow pages app and then click the top button and put it back in my pocket. A couple minutes later i went to go text some1 and the screen was completely black. I tired hitting home and the top button and it just stays black, a lifeless carcass of it's once awesome self :/

Things i tried:

Hitting top button
    Hitting home
    Hitting both
    Plugging into wall charger
    Plugging into computer
    holding both home and top button for 30+ seconds
    holding both home and top button for 30+ seconds while plugged into the computer

All of these gave no response to the screen in any way shape or form and when i plug it into my computer the computer doesn't even recognize it as an unknown USB device >.> Nothing happens anywhere.

Appreciate any assistance in the matter, just moved to California and need my phone to find EVERYTHING so hope u guys can assist.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

To reboot the phone you only need to push the home and power buttons for 10 seconds or so. Once the Apple shows, you can let go of the buttons.

Or you can hold the power button until the slide to power off comes up.

3. Caramello1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but the screen stays completely black, the phone won't respond to anything i do nothing ever pops up

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The battery could have failed. Try plugging to the wall charger and leaving it for awhile.

5. Caramello1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

How long is awhile, i feel so empty lol.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It really depends. From what I've seen in these forums, it could take hours or it may never do anything. If the battery is fried it's not going to charge.

7. arizonabakes macrumors newbie

Mine came back

I have had this 3GS for two weeks and loved it. The battery had at least 70% charge on it and had never got below 10%. I was taking pictures and was looking at one I had taken before setting it down for a couple minutes. When I picked it up and hit the home button I got nothing. Pushed the power button, put it in the charger - nothing. I left it on the charger for about a half hour--- did all the same things and still nothing. I read the thread about home/power at the same time and it didn't work right away. Must of done for 10+ seconds three or four times before it showed the apple sign. Now it seems fine. It showed 67% battery when it came back and then went to 76% immediately after it was put on the charger. Hope it doesn't happen again but I wouldn't bet on it.

8. visioneye macrumors newbie

Iphone DIED !! then woke up... fhhheeeww!

I was desparately searching the internet for a solution when i found there were LOADS of the same complaint for various versions and iphone models. I was freaking mad that this kind of thing would happen! And i just got the damned thing ! The iphone was plugged into my laptop USB to charge at 45% and then i decided to hibernate the lap top by closing the screen. Then i came back after a short errand, and the screen turned black, no amount of button pushing helped, until i saw a posting here that said to hold the top button and the home button down for 5 seconds. And suddnely the silver apple logo came on. RELIEF... but it makes me mad that of all the phones, the IPhone seems to freak people out the most (and it happens A LOT !! see this site's forums -search "iphone died"). Thank goodness i got it up and running. Never happened to my other phones before !! Darn !

9. arizonabakes macrumors newbie

Others at work have had the same problem

I talked to my IT guy the other day and he said the same thing happened to him and he had to hold both the home and power buttons for 60+ seconds before his would turn on. He says to maybe power it off every couple days. His theory is the iPhone has to be rebooted just like a computer to maintain optimum efficiency. I don't buy it, but I am doing it anyway. If apple thinks this is needed then they should let people know.