Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
Cracked my 3gs screen. I went to the apple store and the genius said they would give me a a brand new 3gs for $200. I was wondering should i try to replace it myself with a new glass from ebay for $30 bucks.

if i spend $200 i get a new phone new battery

if i spent $30 i save money, but will i get the same kinda glass with the fingerprint protection.

advice would be appreciated. thanks

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not going to decide for you, but remember that if you try and replace the screen yourself and fail, you'll be ineligible for the $200 replacement.

semlohde

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2008
I broke the screen to my 3g and looked at replacing it myself. There is the glass and digitizer, pull this but watch out pulling that. NOPE - not for me. Apple told me I had water damage so my $200 was on top of their full price - I wasn't about to pay $500 for any phone. MISSIONREPAIR.COM - I paid something like $125 and they sent me a FEDEX box overnight. I took it back to FEDEX Monday afternoon and they had my new screen and digitizer back Thursday. It's worked perfectly since. If you've had it any time at all the $200 is a good deal - for a NEW one with the new battery because we all know it's going to cost again to replace the battery and hope the backup really works restoring your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.