iPhone 3GS displayed text message full screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davejay00, Dec 5, 2011.

1. davejay00 macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi all,

This may seem a silly question but I have not been able to sleep thinking about why my phone did this.

I recieved 2 text messages I think and then another one and looked at my phone and the message was displayed white text on black background full screen (no carrier, wireless symbols or anything), with a green 'Dismiss' button at the bottom. I have iOS5.

Any ideas why it would do that and what it's for?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

2. enoC macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2009
    Sounds like a instant text. Nokia phones is able to send these texts that only shows on the screen.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    There were people reporting this elsewhere too, without a clear resolution aside from just restoring and setting the phone up as new. FWIW I have SMS all the way back to 2008 on my iPhone (which have been ported over via restored backups from my original iPhone and my 3GS onto my 4S). I guess some people text more than me, but as far as I know, unless your phone itself is full, you shouldn't have this problem.
  4. davejay00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2011
    I am pretty sure it's not full as the capacity when I check is fine, assuming they are stored on the phone locally.

Also I have recieved texts since and they come through as normal notifications.