iPhone 3GS DIY Refurbishment

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jarrod.Strachan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Jarrod.Strachan macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for taking you time looking at this, I do appreciate it :).

So, Basiccally I got an iPhone 3GS 16GB Black for Christmas (I tried to get white but they were out), and basically I havnt took good care of it, I bought some screen protecters for it, but I couldnt stand them, I bought a Griffin Case, but it scratched up the back, and due to the lack of a screen protector the Screen is pretty scratched up. Oh and Did I mention the Chrome Bezel?

So, Basically, Im going to refurbish my iPhone myself, I have already purchased a OEM 3GS White 16GB Back Replacement, and have also purchased the chrome bezel. But Im stuck on the screen.

Im looking around and seeing, "IPHONE 3GS GLASS SCREEN AND DIGITIZER". I dont know what a digitizer is, but I have not broke it, I just want to replace my scratched Front Panel. So please can someone point me in the right direction for a iPhone 3GS Front panel replacement. Im From UK btw. Please Help, oh and, Thanks in advanced :).

2. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I always buy my spare parts from ifixit.com and have always been quality products.

3. Jarrod.Strachan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but, Im still confused, do I need a 'Digitizer'? Or What, it would help me if you could URL me to the exact product I need.

4. hchavarria macrumors 6502

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

um...apple has a 1 year standard warranty on all iphones you know. also, you dont need a digitizer, thats the part where the touch screen part of the phone is. i think its only on 2g iphones that their two parts, but just incase i should let you know if its not, cuz im not entirely sure. if you touch the digitizer with your skin, you will need to buy a new one. the slightest skin oil, or skin whatever, will break it. it cannot be touched by skin. also, instead of trying to fix it yourself, let something go wrong with it, then take it to apple. if you take it apart yourself, you will void the warranty. and if you screw something up while your inside there, then guess what pal your out a few hundred bucks. i would stay away from self repair until the phone is out of warranty.

6. hchavarria macrumors 6502

The 1 year warranty is a limited warranty and does not cover cosmetic damage. The 2G iphone was a single part because the digitizer was fuzed between the glass and the LCD but from the 3G on it came as two seperate parts, the glass/digitizer and the LCD. Apple will not replace or "fix" his phone due to cosmetic damage. What he needs is the outer glass which is also the digitizer because he mentioned that the screen was badly scratched therefore by replacing the glass he is actually also replacing the digitizer.

The screen components are actually three parts the Glass (outer layer), the digitizer (the component that make touch screen), and the LCD. The glass and digitizer in the 3g and 3gs models are one part, the LCD is a seperate part.

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The glass is fuzed to the digitizer. The Original iPhone had the screen fuzed too. But the glass and didgtizer are one part on the 3G/3GS. The apple warranty does NOT COVER COSMETIC DAMAGE.

8. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

please stop talking like you know what you're talking about, its pretty annoying

(from your posts it seems like you know a bit about software/jailbreaking, but it also sounds like you don't know much about the hardware/taking apart an iPhone )

The digitizer and the front glass are glued together in the 3g/3gs

make sure to purchase an iphone glass +digitizer

I would recommend against replacing the rear plastic, this involved COMPLETELY taking apart your iphone = high risk of damaging something

9. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Do not change the Back Case - It will ruin your Apple Warranty

Do not change the back cases for following reason, from most important to least:

1. It will ruin your Apple Warranty.
    2. Whatever Case you get, will not be Genuine, all new cases available in the market are either Fake or Refurbished. If you are still wanting to change the case, go for refurbished instead of Fake. Ask the supplier. www.ifixit.com is the most respected Parts store, so you may want to try them 1st.
    3. This is a risky repair, as you have to take everything from you old iPhone & put it back. If you ruin some parts you are still good. But if you ruin the board then you are at point of no return.

I hope the above helps.

-Ganesh

10. KidPub macrumors member

In other words...

I think what you're looking for is a 'dictionary'.

Perry

11. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Why you would be in a support forum with a comment like that is beyond me. Do you really not have anything better to do?

12. Jarrod.Strachan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys so much, Ive decided not to go for this refurbishment, and just face it out :).

Im going to wait for the iPhone 4G [Or whatever they decide to call it :)]. Though I do have a question, Because I am under the 1 year standard warranty, does that mean I can trade in my 3GS for the 4G (When its released) and pay only a % of the price?. Thankyou:)

13. hchavarria macrumors 6502

When the new phone is released if your contract is not up for renewal then you would have to pay the unsubsidized price.