iphone 3gs do i update to 4.1 OFW then jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lokster, Oct 26, 2010.

1. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

hey guys i got an iphone 3gs now and i dont mind if it isnt unlocked

i want it jailbroken and i was wondering, because im so used to 3g and red snow and using a patched firmware i havent used blackrain or jailbreak me type before.

do i update to the official firmware of 4.1 and then use limerain to jailbreak? and limerain would hacktivate it already? i really dont need the unlock so im happy with jailbreaking

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you dont care about the unlock just update to 4.1 and then use limerain or greenpoison.
    If you're using it on official carrier you dont need to hactivate it. Just let it activate after it updates/restores to 4.1 and leave your simcard in and then run limerain to JB.

3. lokster thread starter macrumors 6502

lokster

sweet thanks for the fast reply applejuiced

i have to ask also, how can you tell what region your iphone came from? say US has AT&T and Europe has O2 and Orange, would a US brand iphone on AT&T still work on a Euro brand Sim like Orange?

in the philippines where in from Globe is the official carrier.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.
    Not sure how you can tell where it came from or what carrier its locked to. I think there was a site where you enter your serial number but not 100%
    A US iphone is locked to AT&T and will only work with AT&T sims. A factory unlocked iphone will work with any sim for example and European locked iphones locked to Vodafone for example will only work with voda sims untill they're unlocked by the carrier. In the US AT&T does not officially unlock any iphones.

5. mansanas macrumors regular

whats hactivate??