iPhone 3GS - Does it also crack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NelsonSAE, Jun 28, 2009.

1. NelsonSAE macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

A few days has now passed since the debut of the 3GS. Is anyone having problems with case cracking (more visible with white phones?).

With 3G, first cracks (and reports) appeared less than a week after first purchases.

Did Apple corrected this issue with 3GS?
    Is this a thing of the past?

Thanks!

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Search and you will see some people have found there three day old 3G S has developed some cracks.

It hasn't bothered me much so I haven't checked to see if mine has any.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think the manufacturing process has changed do I'm guessing cracking is still a small issue. I've had my 3G for nearly a year and I have no visable cracking.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Yeah, it's already being reported with the 3GS.

5. crzy4ifone macrumors newbie

I just picked my white one up last night and I noticed 2 small what appeared to be cracks by the speaker. No others. After using it last night, woke up this morning and looked again and there are 5 small hairline cracks.

I looked really close and the actual plastic is not cracking all the way through. Appears to be just the glossy finish they put on these phone. I suppose when it heats up, the finish cracks at the weakest points.

Needless to say, not a big deal to me if that is all it's doing. I did call Apple to make note of it and after vacation I'm going to take it in to make sure it's not in fact cracking through. If it's just the glossy finish then I won't worry about it. I've got a case covering it anyway so i won't see it. As long as the integrity of the phone is fine, no biggy.

I'm sure there are tons doing the same thing as well as black. With black, you just would not notice it.

6. NelsonSAE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses.

It is disapointing Apple didn't take care of this issue.

It's seems more people are now chosing white iPhones (maybe many black 3G owners want to get the felling they are purchasing something entirely new...), and those cracks are much more visible on the white ones.

It is a shame that a € 600 phone cracks like none of the cheapest phones I've had ever did.:(

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah it does suck a bit that they didn't change anything to better that...but look at it this way, it's pretty much a free ticket to get a brand new one for free if yours does crack. Right?

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I have 3 already. Spider like web cracks near screw near dock, one from my bezel to my ringer switch and one on the bottom. Im not too incredibly picky, so Ill wait a while to replace it. If I get another crack, Im getting it replaced.

9. actorkid macrumors 6502

ive had my 3G S since launch day...ive looked the thing over with a magnifying glass and still cant find any cracks on mine