iPhone 3GS: dust on camera sensor???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by strodda, Apr 24, 2011.

1. strodda macrumors regular

My wife's phone has recently had a problem and it's not on the lense as far as I can see. Is it possible to take apart the lense/camera or do I need to just buy a new camera?

Here is what it looks like.

http://yfrog.com/gyoq0jfj

2. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can take it apart if you think you can take out the logic board, it's easy to me but I have repair experience. You can look on YouTube for iPhone 3GS disassembly videos. The camera is attached to the logic board.

Once you know how it takes like a 5 mins. Basically you unscrew the bottom screws then suction cup the screen to take it off then disconnect a few connectors and unscrew more screws inside and the logic board will come right out with the camera and you can clean it.

If it doesn't fix the problem take it to the genius bar.

3. strodda thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to get to the camera unit itself, but is the actual sensor possible to get to? Isn't it inside of the camera unit?

4. mmoreal90 macrumors newbie

mmoreal90

I think you should try to repair it first.Then if not successful go to get a new one