iPhone 3gs earpiece not working after screen replace

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audiman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. audiman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I cracked my screen, replaced it cheap, very cheap actually. Put it in myself. I see there are 3 ribbons, 1,2,3 I think 1 is for the LCD display, not sure what 2 is for, and 3 is for the earpiece for when making calls.

I had a difficult time at first putting ribbon 3 back in. it didnt want to slide into circuit board on iphone. I then found I had to lift the white clip where it slides into and then it went right in. but even after doing this the speaker for the ear piece when holding up to my head doesnt work.

I then bought a new screen and speaker thinking maybe I damaged the ribbon 3 on original one when trying to replace it. But this one is doing same thing.

Any suggestions of what Im missing or doing wrong as to why I cant hear anything when making calls. Speaker phone works fine so can make calls that way. everything else works fine too. just not speaker when holding up to head.

also I noticed a 4th black ribbon that seems to just lay in there. doesnt hook up to anything. Is that supposed to be placed in there a certain way?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

The #3 connector is very fragile and can easily be broken without noticing any damage. If you've already tried a new speaker assembly, it may very well be the connector itself. Does your proximity sensor work? The best way to test this is make a phone call and hold your finger over the area around the speaker. If the screen turns black, your #3 connector should be fine.

I would double check all your connections and make sure everything is seated properly. It doesn't happen a lot but sometimes the #3 cable comes unplugged when your putting the phone back together. Also, the 4th "ribbon" you mentioned is not an actual connector, it's part of the cable but it just lays there. However, you have to make sure it's laying the right way or it can get in the way of your sim card slot.

3. audiman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive been reading that the cable 3 needs to be inserted all the way. So maybe i'm not getting it in there all the way. I can try that again. I guess I'm affraid of damaging the cable since its so hard to get inserted into the slot.

Any other suggestions would be great.

thx

----------

thats a good idea. I will test that to see if proximity sensor is working. i made sure to be gentle with the new cable since I knew the last one wasnt working right.

the speaker worked fine when the screen was cracked, it only stopped owrking after replacing the screen. but now I bought another new screen but this time it included the speaker assembly so I didnt have to try and doubletape that thing again to the glass. (wish I would of bought it this way the first time - was only 18 bucks)

i will post how that goes when I get time to test that.

thanks for the reply.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sometimes, cheap isn't so cheap.;) Hope you get it worked out soon.

5. audiman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is very true. but after buying 2 screens I really think its user error. lol

I am going to try reinserting it. I do know it looks like it needs to be inserted more. I guess I was just affraid of damaging cable by trying to slide it in more. I will just have to be careful and slide it in more. then lock the white bar down.

6. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I had the same problem when replacing my wife's screen on her 3GS and to make things worse, the little clip for cable #3 broke on me so now the cable is possibly popping back out.

7. audiman thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you get it to work?

8. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Lol no my wife is still using it on loud speaker :) I'm too scared to open it again as I don't want to damage it further.

I'll have to attempt it some day though.

9. mdonahue macrumors newbie

Ribbon # 3 clip on 3GS?

Reading over the forum, folks keep saying there is a white clip to hold in the # 3 ribbon.
    My unit has a black top and a white base. The ribbon slides under the black top, but there is no way to hold it in. The black top portion seems fixed and does not snap open???