iPhone 3GS Experts Required Urgently

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DGOJG, Mar 31, 2011.

1. DGOJG macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a few questions I really need answered ASAP and would really appreciate the help. Firstly I'm in the UK and have just been given a broken iPhone 3GS from a friend if mine. The phone works but displays nothing, I was able to sync and restore it for example. I has a medium crack on the screen near the home button and the screen comes off to reveal the inside if you use something sharp. The screws are missing as I'm guessing the screen has been replaced before by him. It's still within warranty but I'm guessing that has made it break the warranty. My questions are as followed:
    Can I get it repaired and if so how much?
    Is it possible to have it replaced?
    Will a pay-as-you-go sim work on it as it's a pay monthly phone?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

IDK about UK prices, but if the phone is in warranty, it would be 200$ here. Out of warranty and they usually don't help you.

3. DGOJG thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone else got any info?

4. BlackViper macrumors member

Check Apple's support site; an Out of Waranty repair is $229 CAD, so long as the phone is repairable, sounds like yours is. If there is an Apple Store nearby, they can do the swap right then, you hand over the broken phone and pay the fee, they give you a refurbished unit, good as new. Can also be done by Phone/Mail if an Apple Store is not convenient. Going throuh Apple will preserve the remainder of the warranty in case something should happen to the replacement unit. As for the SIM thing, any SIM from the carrier the phone came from should work; you'd have to call your cell service provider to be sure.

5. ckc macrumors regular

In the UK sim card will work in either PAYG or monthly contract phones, providing that it is a sim card from the same network supplier of the phone or the phone is unlocked.

6. qnc macrumors member

Since it is under warranty you may not want to do this, but $60 US from amazon.com I was able to get the glass, digitizer, LCD, homebutton, and ear piece. (all assembled, some places will send pieces)

Basically take off the old. Plug in the new and good as new.

Good luck

Also prepaid sim should work no problem as long as it is same company.
    If you jailbreak and unlock any prepaid sim should work

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Your best option IMO is to take it to an Apple store and ask for out of warranty service on it. It will cost you £139 and you'll walk out of the shop with a shiny "as new" refurbished phone which will also include warranty for the remainder of the warranty period
    However, it's possible they may refuse you service because of the missing screws (attempted "unauthorised" repairs make an iPhone ineligible for this out of warranty service)