iPhone 3Gs fails stereo test with YouTube app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theqrm, Apr 28, 2010.

1. theqrm macrumors newbie

Realized that when playing back certain video files from YouTube on my new 3Gs that one of the channels from the stereo spectrum was missing (right side actually...). Wasn't sure until I checked out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bv4...211&feature=iv

When the right speaker appears in the video you can't hear it. I do not have the mono sound option set in the Accessibility controls, so I see no reason why this should be happening. Any ideas?

2. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

The bottom speaker is mono. You'll only hear stereo sound from the headphone jack.

3. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Althought there is only one speaker, it plays both the left and right channel audio.

theqrm is saying that when there is only right channel audio, he can't hear it.

I can't check my result for you because the link is faulty, can you repost?

4. theqrm thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the bad link. This should do it:

http://tinyurl.com/2ce9ecy

But you can try the same by searching for any stereo sound tests on YouTube. With or without headphones the issue still exists. Only hear left channel. Same for when I have my phone tethered to my car stereo USB connection for playback. That's actually how I discovered it.

I assume there's a setting on my phone that I'm just not clued in on, so any help appreciated.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmm, the OP is correct.

I used this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmQfM1k9-pg

Works fine on my work PC. On my iPhone I hear left, but NOT right. With the phone speaker or stero headphones...same thing. It's only giving the left channel!

This seems to be a Youtube app problem. I made a test file that goes left first and then right:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1589713/left_right.mp3

It sounds fine on my work PC and it works fine on iPhone Safari through the headphones and through the single speaker on the phone.

Apparently the iPhone's Youtube player has the right audio channel disabled!

Very interesting find!

6. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Is this on Wi-Fi or 3G? Because doesn't the youtube app switch to a lower quality on 3G?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

All 3G here, can't test wifi so I don't know.

That may be it, but it's still a bit of a flaw. If that IS it then the low-rez versions should be combining the channels when they're rendered down to mono...not just stripping one out.

8. Dee2001 macrumors member

It must be a 3G thing as it's working fine on my 3GS over wifi.

9. androiphone macrumors 65816

aww you can't try out the Virtual Barber Shop then :(

question do you hear the left through both headphones, or just through the left? and then the right headphone is just 100% silent?

10. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Well, I don't hear the right channel on my iPhone OR my PC. Something is wrong with the file on YouTube

11. Larry Brewer macrumors newbie

Right channel is missing

Dee2001 is correct. When using YouTube app, both channels play fine thru the one speaker when connected to wyfi. But when you switch to 3G, you will get only the left channel out of the single speaker.

This is using a new Apple 4s on the Sprint network.