Iphone 3GS faulty power button help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frankydan100, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Hi guys, I have a problem with the power button on my iphone 3gs. Basically it doesn't work anymore! you have to press it really hard and kind of push in the top of the screen next to it to get the phone to lock and it is impossible to actually turn the phone off. This doesn't bother me to much but I rely on the button to enter dfu mode when jailbreaking and this is obviously not possible any more.

The warranty is long gone and I dont have insurance on the phone so was wondering if anybody has similar problems and/or knows how to fix this. I have one of the screwdrivers in order to open the phone up, but wouldnt know where to start. Any help much appreciated.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There are plenty of good disassembly videos on YouTube. As for the parts you will need, I'm guessing you're going to need to buy a new power button or maybe you can just re-seat it and maybe it will work.

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You could always take it to an Apple store and have them take a look at it.

Hopefully they will tell you exactly what's wrong with it, and then you'll know the exact part you will need to purchase.