Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustparaDOX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
So when I got to the step where you hit shift and click restore and select the 4.0.2 version to restore I get this error message

"The iPhone "iPhone" Could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

I was following this Jailbreak guide and follow instructions when I got that error.

How To Jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 Using Redsn0w For iPhone 3G Users
[Windows]
We had just published our step-by-step guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 using Redsn0w for
iPhone 3G for Mac users. This guide is for Windows users.

Step 1: Download the latest release of Redsn0w by clicking here and save the application
in a folder named "Pwnage" on your desktop.

Step 2: Click here to download the latest iOS 4.0.2 firmware file
(iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw) for iPhone 3G and save it in
the same folder. Click here to also download iOS 4 firmware file
(iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw).

Step 3: Double click the Redsn0w zip file and extract the application to the Pwnage
folder

Step 4: Connect your iPhone 3G to the computer, which should automatically launch
iTunes.

Step 5: From the 'Devices' section on the left pane of iTunes, select your iPhone 3G
device. Now, hold the Shift key down and click the 'Restore' button.

Step 6: Navigate to the Pwnage folder on the desktop and select the
downloaded iOS 4.0.2 firmware file
(iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw). Click on the 'Choose'
button to let iTunes update your iPhone with the required firmware.

This is where I got this error message

"The iPhone "iPhone" Could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

Then I tried to skip past the update with the file selected and went on to try...

Step 7: Navigate back to the Pwnage folder and launch the Redsn0w application.

Step 8: You will be asked to select the corresponding IPSW file. Click on
the Browse button and select the iOS 4.0 firmware file
(iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw). Note: You need to use the
iOS 4.0 firmware file in this step. If you use iOS 4.0.2 file then you will
get the "Unable to recognize specified IPSW" error message.

Step 9: Redsn0w will verify the firmware file and inform you if it has successfully
identified it. Click on 'Next' to proceed.

Step 10: Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.

Step 11: You will now be prompted to select the jailbreak options you would like. Check
the following options. A few of these may have already been selected by default.
• Install Cydia
• Enable Multitasking
• Enable Homescreen Wallpaper
• Enable Battery percentage
'Verbose boot' offers detailed booting information to users. This may not be necessary for
common users and need not be selected. You may also choose to not check 'Custom boot
logo' and 'Custom recovery logo' options if you prefer the default icons. However, if you
wish to provide your own boot and recovery logos, do remember that these images have
to be PNG files in RGB or grayscale mode and inside 320x480 resolution.

Step 12: Select 'Next' to continue. You will now be prompted to switch OFF your iPhone
3G and plug it to the computer. Follow the instructions and click on 'Next' to move to the
next screen:

Step 13: You will now need to put your iPhone 3G into the DFU mode. Redsn0w will
take you through the necessary steps:
(a) Hold the Power button on iPhone 3G down for 2 seconds:
(b) Now simultaneously hold the iPhone button and keep the two buttons pressed for 10
seconds:
(c) Now release the Power button while keeping the Home button depressed. Redsn0w
will now identify the device:

Step 14: Your iPhone 3G should reboot now.

It didn't reboot.

I tried this once I when into the DFU mode the device would not reboot. It just stayed off. I would have to re-enter the DFU mode.

Step 15: Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel

Step 16: You will now be notified once the jailbreaking process is complete. Click on the
'Finish' button to exit the application.

Step 17: Your iPhone will reboot once again (which could take approximately 5
minutes). After it has rebooted, your iPhone 3G should be successfully jailbroken. You
should find Cydia jailbreak app on your iPhone 3G's home screen.
Hope this helped. Please don't forget to drop us a line to tell us how it goes.

I have the most current update from iTunes for the iPhone. I want to jail break it can someone help me with these issues I'm running into.

cowsrus

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
i skimmed but this is most likely your problem

thats a guide to jailbreak a 3G, your topic says you are on a 3GS

more likely than not when it gave you the firmware to download you downloaded a firmware that was created for a 3G, thus why itunes says the firmware is incompatible

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
yes if you have a 3gs then you can't jailbreak 4.0.2 you might be able to downgrade 4.0.1 and then jailbreak, but based on this I will personally let somebody else tell you about it. if they choose I don't want to be blamed if you fail. :p

JustparaDOX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I'm downgrading to OS 4.0.1 right now. Yeah it was my mistake. I was looking up 3Gs jailbreaks and got a 3G tutorial. I am having a hard time finding how to jailbreak OS4 . period . especially for 3Gs... I'm a keep looking if anyone knows where to go or how please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.